extremely slow downloads

heeddaebaw

hi ive followed the set up guide in the sticky and its not worked, ive also forwarded the correct port and tried many different tweaks.

About a month ago my utorrent was downloading fine, and now it has just started to download extremely slow, i am downloading a 590kB file seeds 1(2) peers 0(8) and the dl speed is ranging between 0 and 1.0 kB/s.

the tick at the bottom of utorrent is green, i have allowed utorrent through my firewall i have forwarded ports on my router, yet utorrent still downloads so slow

can anyone help

thanks.

thanks for the reply

i went on the website and began downloading a torrent after about 10 minutes of leaving the torrent on, i am connected to 7(10) seeds and 1(6) peers.

I am getting an average download speed of about 3kB/s which is an improvement compared to yesterday but still this is way to slow

anyone got any suggestions?

Off topic, do you see my same post twice up above for several of my posts? Or did the Firefox update that just happened muck things up?

Anyway, since you say you haven't changed anything it could be an ISP thing or hardware problem. Any/what Internet security software? Also, is it always slow? Even after power cycling your modem?

yea i do see your post twice for some reason ???

im with talktalk there a uk based company im not sure if these forums are uk only :S but anyway, it was running at a fine speed up until a month ago do you think my isp could have done something if so what can i do to fix it. im using nod32 with zone alarm and utorrent is set to allow so i dont think it could be them. as i say i have not installed any new hardware or disabled any, i am really puzzled by this but i have also found that another p2p program that i use has also turned really slow in the last month, no doubt they are linked somehow

can anyone help? thanks for the replies up to now gthk

DHT yes, PEX not so much. Enable or FORCE Encryption under Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent , and dis-allow legacy connections. Go through http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 post #2 includes some other steps... :/ Generally speaking you can't do much about ISP mucking with your connection. But what you can do is keep track of the shaping. See if it always happens from 4p-3a for ex. You only need to run the test torrent(s) for 1-3 minutes an hour if you want to collect data.

TalkTalk goes to considerable lengths to disrupt internet traffic if they deem it to be "p2p" in nature. They are not trying to be a true ISP.

nod32 with zone alarm definitely have issues...both with uTorrent and with networking in general.

NOD32's problems may be resolved with the latest updates, but Zone Alarm is just hopeless.

The reason this may have happened in the last month and a half is because you may have finally caught someone's eye.. Sounds crazy but I would try a few things...

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH of this but I had a similar issue and I fixed it by messing with some of this stuff.

1) Disk Cleanup... Get rid of ALL of your temp files ( except Office related )

2) Go to your Internet options and have Windows dump your temp files and cache when you close IE, it will do it for the system if you choose to do so. Do te same for Firefox as well, or any other browser you have.

3) Clear your private data in uTorrent ( other section )and try using a random port on startup, also clear your private data in uTorrent and in the section where you report information from uTorrent put some frivolous BS in there. On the listening port I actually have everything checked..with success. Set your max download rate to your maximum tested connection rate. choose to set your max upload as well..Bittorent try.. 230,200, and 4..additional feature, ask tracker for scrape, unchecked; and limit local peer bandwidth unchecked. Protocol encryption Enabled, not forced. Allow incoming legacy connections.

Check these settings in the advanced area...

These are the entries only...

false

false

false

false

true

true

false

false

true

false

true

false

true

true

true

false

true

true

false

true

true

(blank)

false

(blank)

true

true

false

true

true

true

true

true

If you have 1some RAM available .. over 512MB..try this

Disk Caching ..

Override size and 128 MB

Enable caching of disk writes

write out untouched blocks every two minutes

Enable caching of disk reads.

The only difference in my system from normal ones is that I use eBoostr 1.2something, and SuperSpeed RAMDisk version 8 for a 1GB RAMDisk which is where the pagefile for my system is located, and my temp files as well. I have extensive changes that I have made cleaning my registery and with my file management. It would make since that if you had a horribly corrupted or fragmented hard drive that read and writes and the ability of the program to write to disk when downloading could slow you down, BUT this should not be an issue; but CAN be so take a look.

I am going to leave a link about the security of your system and some programs I use too which I would suggest to clean out your system or at least check for anything that may have been put into your system, which could be effecting it, there are a wide range of settings that can be altered through the use of malicious registry entries, and files which are installed into your system. They can come from anywhere. These days everyone is in the hacking game, even the so called 'GOOD GUYS' ...if you get me..If you ask me it sounds odd that a lot of people are having issues all of a sudden.

Use Peer Guardian and the filter for uTorrent...It sometimes can speed up torrents that seem to connect but run really slow without it. Don't ask me why I haven't torn that apart .. So an explanation I would not have..LOL :)

Link: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=39047

Anyway, my thoughts ... All the help I know off, beside getting into windows.

OH yeah and I use an ALTERNATIVE DNS server...configured in my router...

Archived