Help with the speed guide

remedy1419

hey guys I tried following the speed guide but the speed test is skewed by powerboost, my isp's thing that speeds up my connection for a certain amount of time. i started downloading something for a while, and the connection stabilized at 770Kb/sec. The upload stabilized at 112Kb/sec.

was wondering if you guys could give me the formulas to calculate your internet speed based off of your download and upload speed. thanks

Download speeds in uT are KiBps, your ISP gives speeds in Kbps b : B is 8:1 so for your 112 KiBps upload, you can use xx/1Mbit ....

I'm unsure though, if you download http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ for 1-3 minutes you get a 770 KiBps download?

Edit: Indeed if you have the basic Package (i.e. you're not paying the extra $10 or $15 / month for "turbo") its xx/512 or below.

ComCast's SpeedBoost royally fouls up standard speed tests, making a connection appear faster than it will sustain for more than 1 minute.

You probably really have 384 kilobits/sec (6 megabits/sec down) or 768 kilobits/sec upload speed (for 8 or more megabits/sec down) if you have a "typical" ComCast line.

So...you use either the xx/384k or xx/768k settings. Unless you can test uTorrent to see if it can upload faster.

Archived