optimal settings for 512Kbps adsl?

aquarius

Download speed is decreased if you set your upload speed too low.

Upload speed needs to be a minimum of 6 KiloBYTES/second for uTorrent to not reduce Download speed.

Also, uploading faster than your connection can sustain can also reduce download speeds due to weaknesses in internet networking in general.

If this was while not doing anything else on your line you are indeed on an impacted connection. Choose xx/64 and turn OFF ALL unnecessary features as mentioned in http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 post #2.

You can still download at that rate but you're HIGHLY limited by your upload. Those settings from the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) are good places to start but you may even need to lower the per torrent to something like 25 and global to 30 :( I remember the days of dialup... then again I only had windows 98 to contend with. The fact remains as long as on your settings you can still donwload slackware @ 50 KiBps, you're good to go :)

My global max number of connections is set on 70,and max number of connected peer per torrent 50...is that to much?What will happen if change it?Will that affect my download speed?

My speed hasn't changed a lot, in fact I think it's even going slower than it use to...I'm starting to believe that the problem is the file I'm downloading...there are only 1(5) seeds and 27(131)peers connected!:(

Theoretically nothing will change except the amount of NON-data transferred between peers and you simultaneously.

As long as you're uploading consistently near your max of 7 KiBps you're going as fast as you can. Well fewer seeds and peers with a % lower than you will reduce your download as they have nothing you need. In this instance, what's the current availability of all peers you are connected to (you will see that in the General tab)?

Hang in there :)

Right now, availability is 9.996...is that bad?My max upload speed is set on 6kB/s, and it's not really consistent...it goes up to 6kB/s and falls to about 3.2kB/s.The same thing is with my download speed...sometimes it reaches about 15kB/s,and than it falls to 2-3kB/s!

DHT is basically a backup tracker. It can be used to share peers in the event the tracker(s) in the torrent are offline or if you want to contribute to overall peer connectivity (this is what it functions as if it's default on)... but it contributes to bandwidth and overhead which you don't need on such a low upload.

Hmm, you lost connections to at least 4 peers? So you're 1 seed and say 20 peers still though right... that's still enough. The main question is did it increase your average throughput... Go to the Speed tab and scale back to 5 or 30 seconds to see if its a relatively horizontal download line.

Well...download line is definitely not horizontal...:( It has BIG spikes!The same thing is with the upload line!

Gues I'll just have to be patient and wait...

A few minutes ago my download speed reached 37kB/s, and now it fell down to 2.8kB/s... :(

Archived