How does the upload speed relate to download speed?

jon222

Hi,

Is there any direct relation between the torrent upload speed and download speed? My questions is if I allow higher upload speed can I get higher download speed or it doesn't directly relate?

I've read that for low upload speed limit (maybe <20kB) the download speed is limited to 4 * download speed and if the upload speed is over some value, than the download speed is unlimited? Is that true, and if it is, what is the value?

If somebody knows the answer or has a link to some web page where this torrent protocol feature is explained, please post it.

J.

For global settings, you need to have upload speed at least 6 KiloBYTES/sec or download speed is automatically limited to 6 times your upload max.

In the latest v1.8 betas, any individual torrents that have very low upload speed limits set also get their download speed automatically limited to about 12 times their upload speed.

This is to both decrease near-leeching and abide closer to the BitTorrent protocol specifications.

Uploading too close to the max upload speed for your connection can also decrease download speeds due to temporary overloads. No upload limit makes the uploads nearly constant and overloads can be terrible!

Am I something missing? In my experience when my upload speed limit is about 20KB I got down speed cca max 50, when up is 50, I get cca 100, so are you sure there is no such relation that the bigger upload speed limit you have the bigger the download speed can be?

Very true. My experience with my 4meg/256k(bit/sec) ASDL link is that setting the global upload limit is essential to get the torrent thing to work well. Set the limit too high and everything crawls to a near halt. Get it right and depending on which torrents you go after..you will be able to hit the 6:1 max ratio built into the client on a regular basis. But JH is right, in the real world most of the time about 4:1 is as good as it gets.

;) Small correction if I may: There is no "max limit"... Limit your upload to 1-5 KiBps and you are stuck @ 6x (max of 30)... which has been in since 1.7 and before. In 1.8 this has been increased to encompass 1-3 KiBps per torrent, but the multiplier is 12x (max of 36). This is to discourage stingy limits and encourage accurate limits for those who need them.

... Upload limits of 3 or below SET download rates with different multipliers depending upon if it's global or per-torrent. Global upload limit of 4 or 5 KiBps sets a 6x multiplier on your download and displays http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Download_Limited_in_the_status_bar_mean.3F .

Does that explanation make more sense?

Not really. I was asking if the upload settings within µTorrent affect the download speed, or the actual upload speed experienced. For example, I can say up up max is 50 kB/s, but use a bandwidth limiter to actually allow only 10 kB/s. If the global upload rate is 10 kB/s, the max you could download is 120 kB/s or 6,000 kB/s?

The only limit set within the software is an download limit of five times your upload if your upload CAP is set between 1 and 5 kilobytes/second.

Not current transfer rate.

Any other limits you might see are due to tit-for-tat in the protocol (you give less to a peer, they give less back to you).

Archived