Slow downloading after changing ISP

Crembo

Two days ago , I changed my ISP , because the best internet they could offer was 256Kbps. So now I changed to way faster 4Mbps internet.

Anyway , when I was downloading torrents with my old 256Kbps internet , it was always downloading at max speed (30 kB/s). But now , when I got the 4Mbps internet , I'm get slower speeds than with the 256Kbps internet (9 kB/s ~ 30 kB/s) which is really wrong. That's if I download from a public tracker. If I download from a private tracker ( tried only 1) , then it jumps to max @ ~ 480kB/s.

I forwarded the port , allowed uTorrent in firewall , but I'm still getting slower speeds.

I live in Lithuania , my ISP is Teo ; Down speed - 4Mbps , up speed - 512Kbps. That's also how I set uTorrent.

... private vs. public is irrelevant. The difference is the peers. If you download http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ for 1-3 minutes what's your sustained download speed?

There's nigh you can do about peers uploading slow to you. You just need to make sure your upload is consistent AND fair ... the setup guide defaults to 3 KiBps per peer per torrent. Are you uploading near your limit? Use the Speed tab and scale to 5 or 30 seconds to see the longer timeframe. What is the average upload?

"Are you uploading near your limit?"

Yes.

"What is the average upload?"

Around 30kB/s

About the Openoffice - it's around 150~180 kB/s , but my brother is also downloading on his PC in similar speed.

EDIT:

Now it grew to 250 kB/s and still growing.

EDIT2:

It topped 300kB/s and then finished downloading...

If you're both using filesharing applications, you'll need to set your upload settings even LOWER than xx/256. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the line, which leaves peers. To help them along Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> Enable/Force encryption and dis-allow legacy connections. The second part isn't necessary, but if you notice the peers get disconnected quickly after connecting it may 1) help keep the existing peers longer by not allowing unencrypted peers and 2) eliminate possible shaping being done at the SENDER's end since you seem to be unaffected.

Where is the peer you're connecting to from on that tracker? More than likely .se .jp .fi .nl .no or some datacenter... These peers generally have HIGH uploads compared to the general population. Take heed of my comment previously about splitting the connection with multiple computers... I would even go so far as to say each of you use a scheduler so you're not impinging on the full upload of your line and get sustained speeds. What are your current Speed Guide settings... what did you change the values to?

Most peers are US in this torrent I'm downloading.. But ATM , I'm getting fastest speed for a .nl peer.

About the speed guide:

I just set it to xx/256k

Anyone? I'm still getting very low speeds (30-50KB/s) from public trackers.. No matter what torrent I'm downloading. Though from my private tracker I'm getting very high speeds (470KB/s).

Archived