Peer Guardian 2 + utorrent

philopalot

Hi, am new to this group, but have been using utorrent for about 12 months.

Could anyone tell me if Peer Guardian will work in conjunction with utorrent and block my ip address?

If it does who is able to see where I go on the net and what files I am downloading using these programs?

Are there any settings I should be turning on or off in utorrent to stop being tracked?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Philiopalot

PeerGuardian does none of that. It is an internet connection filter, whereby IPs in its list do not connect to you. If you want to block certain people from connecting to you, you should use http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_is_ipfilter.dat.3F

It doesn't even allow peers to CONNECT to you, whereby PG will see the connection, and stop it. This could lead to instability due to timed-out connections.

Also a search of the forum for ipfilter or ipfilter.dat would pop up many threads on the topic.

Torrenting 100% untraceable is impossible and even any decent attempt at it (VPN) either costs a crapload of money or impairs your download ability!

The only thing PG2 (with the bluetack list) does is block a bunch of IPs that are suspected of being used by people collecting data for nefarious purposes. In the end it (arguably) does more harm (it blocks innocents and even a set of virus update servers) then good and in fact provides nothing more then a false sense of security.

Even VPNs are required by law to report illegal activities as a result of search warrants. Don't expect them to accept liability when it's easier, cheaper, and quicker for them to just report your name and location to even minor legal requests. ...Even your ISP may offer more protection than that!

Archived