U Torrent creating large headache!!!

Buck7799

Been a Newsleecher/Usenet users for several years and really like it but for a while it has been recommended that I try U Torrent for a number of reasons. Downloaded and installed it this morning but it has given me nothing but grief. Surfed everywhere to get all the tips to optimize the setup but having problems. (On Usenet I download movies at approx. 820 KBs which is a ceiling from my ISP.) I have tried many options on U Torrent but cannot get it to download at faster than 70 KBs which would take me days to download a 4.3 Gb movie. I run high speed DSL and download broadband speed is 6585 kb/s. Does anyone have suggestions. Port forwarding is supposedly ok, and I believe that I have set everthing correctly. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Buck

First link in my signature -- we'll need more information. Do try the test torrents.

And just a note... Because BitTorrent is a P2P protocol, it relies on the upload rates of other peers. Because their speeds may not exactly be "spectacular," BitTorrent (as well as just about any P2P protocol) does not guarantee speeds.

"I run high speed DSL and download broadband speed is 6585 kb/s."

Strange...you seem to be on Rogers CABLE ISP which isn't DSL.

Rogers is just plain terrible for BitTorrent traffic, they are unleashing a campaign to cripple BitTorrent traffic and harass "Bandwidth hogs"...their customers.

You no longer have real internet access, as your ISP is definitely doing deep packet inspection and filtering/modifying what reaches your computer -- if they let it reach your computer at all!

If that was too jargon-y for you. Bittorrent is not HTTP, therefore that's why you notice such a stark difference in experienced speeds. One of the main benefits with bittorrent IMO is you don't have to pay for newsgroup service.

Also a search http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?action=search&keywords=roger+or+rogers&author=&forum=-1&search_in=all&sort_by=0&sort_dir=DESC&show_as=posts&search=Submit indeed shows the ISP as a non-nice ISP when dealing with p2p. So you will DEFINITELY need to pare down the Speed Guide settings while still keeping the appropriate upload setting.

Archived