Slow Browsing in Utorrent/ Azureus Fine.

mystycs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having not used Azureus in... a long while, I can't say for sure, but I have an inkling the settings cannot possibly be the same. Azureus provides many more features you need to customize... for uT it's simple: You setup an upload limit, connections per torrent and global, and a port.

If the port is not forwarded you will get incoming connections but they will timeout. Therefore you will only connect to people who are themselves forwarded. If you have a limit too high for your connection it will cause a bottleneck in the upload thereby causing lag for other things. If you have too many connections your hardware may become a bottleneck. So, what are your current settings, and what hardware are you connecting through to get internet? :D

Additionally, please check Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> bt.connect_speed and net.max_halfopen They should be default (* denotes non default) and report back.

Well i have not had this problem before i reformatted, and before that i always used azureus which i had no problems with, but i want to go with utorrent now.

My total connection are 250 and 50 per torrent, and i have Cable, with a Belkin Router.

Quite understandable ;) However as you have a belkin, no matter the model, I would recommend trying 100 connections total 50 per. What is the upload limit you have set. Generally speaking the "basic" cable people get is xx/384 and the "upgrade" (up to 12 Mbit down in general I think limited by DOCSIS 2.0) is xx/768. You can bump it up higher as long as you're not hitting the cap... You'll know this if you are uploading at the maximum set in uT and you can still download at your peak sustained speed on http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ or http://slackware.com/torrents/ Once the download declines sharply you know that's where the data transfer + overhead exceeds you capacity for uploading. Also if you intend on doing other things online, you should lower by 2 or 3 KiBps from there anyway.

What happened when you cut your current upload in half?

The next thing to try is covered in http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 post #2 and involves turning off certain features in uT... starting off UPnP and NAT-PMP especially if you manually forward, they are unnecessary. Then comes DHT, it's possible the connections from that are causing overload on the router.

Experimenting. On my WRT54G, which is worst then a GL, it worked when I tested between 2000-3000 connections with DD-WRT, it said the load on it was like a 150% or something though, but it worked :D.

DD-WRT also adds extra features like IPv6 support and overclocking.

The satisfaction of knowing that your connection will handle almost whatever you throw at it (DHT included) so that you don't have to worry about slow browsing. But if you're not seeing any real need for it (since your problem seems to be fixed), then there probably isn't much point in buying a new router.

I'm not really sure, since I use Tomato firmware with my WRT54GL. I wouldn't imagine it being too difficult, though. From what I've heard, DD-WRT is supposed to be good, but I myself had a bad experience using it. Could've been just me, or maybe it's been fixed in a newer version of DD-WRT, but I've since found no compelling reason to leave Tomato (and I do prefer Tomato too -- it's not just intertia keeping me :P).

Either way, a WRT54GL with one of the two firmwares is a win for you.

Archived