Passkey problem - not added to torrent

dtb

I am having a major problem where the passkey is not added to the torrent after I have downloaded it and then added to uTorrent.

I use 2 private torrent sites and where one is ok the other has this problem and I cant figure it out.

I am doing it correctly because I have added torrents before without problem.

This has only just started and I dont know how to fix the problem. The torrent shows 'red' and checking the torrent properties the announce is shown but there is no passkey tagged on to the end. I can copy and paste the passkey from another and the torrent turns from red to green and all looks ok but other people are still having trouble downloading.

Can anyone help

> other has this problem and I cant figure it out.

If you're already seeding the torrent using the local .torrent this could happen. Your local .torrent file would not have the passkey since that has to be generated from the private tracker and each passkey is unique to each login. Maybe you selected Start Seeding when uTorrent created the torrent?

You'd report it at the site though... Indeed I think hermanm has the cause. Are you selecting "start seeding" from the create torrent dialog??

If this is a ... half-aware site, they add unique keys to the INFO dictionary to make it a different INFOHASH. If you look at the Hash in the General tab for these duplicate torrents you should see a different value. Personally I'd want to see what makes it different so I don't have to necessarily download the torrent. I do this by using Ultima's Bencoded File Editor: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 . On the upside this allows me to still use the torrent I created without having to login to a site again or set it to download again. Downside is I don't have the benefit of Ctrl-U source URL information for easy access (hopefully for the future integration of something to do with it).

Be sure in your torrent storage folder you have the requisite number of torrents (torrents with the same base name will start appending my_torrent.#.torrent, i.e. 1st load =my_torrent.torrent, 2nd load =my_torrent.1.torrent, 3rd load =my_torrent.2.torrent ) and load them up, verify you have consistency for the sites you use, and you can verify you did indeed use the originally created torrent.

If however you determine you DID download and load the correct torrent from the site with the requisite keys, you may still need to report it to the site. I'm sure you can link them to this thread (though I'm not sure how helpful it would be) if you describe the problem and they need more information.

Archived