Auto-getting Files from Shared Folder

rob356

I am running uTorrent 1.7.7, on a completely 100% clean, brand new install (2 days old) install of Windows XP. No other software installed.

So I have it set up to auto load torrent files from a specific directory. That directory happens to be on a File Server, shared via SAMBA. Now it will only load torrents from there when it is started, not any other time. It DOES work when it is restarted.

Here is it in a nutshell - uTorrent will not auto-load torrents from a SAMBA shared folder, without restarting uTorrent.

Hrm, this report sounds somewhat familiar (I feel like I've seen it reported elsewhere on the forums in the past week or so) :/ Additionally, there was been a recent forum post found here that seems vaguely related (network drives not working with auto-load). I think this warrants looking into...

Just to be sure... during the time that µTorrent is running, you are able to view/access the path manually, right?

Edit: Found another old thread on the same problem here.

How long are you waiting for autoload to work on the SAMBA drive?

A local drive will scan almost immediately for *.torrent, but network drives can take longer. I tested on my network drive and it takes about 90 seconds for uTorrent to scan the autoload directory for *.torrent

@rob356: No, I wasn't looking for an apology. I was simply mentioning the fact that it's been noted before. This is the first "official" bug report thread for the (apparent) bug, so it's not a problem (and as I said, it warrants looking into).

You could check Process Monitor to verify the path is being polled for access at times OTHER than startup...

For those who know: Why would mounted volumes behave differently than local volumes? If uT is told M: goes to \\mybox how is that different than a local M:, or is this a separate case from that?? I don't access network volumes as raw UNC I always mount them.

fyi, here is the link for Process Monitor.

> Why would mounted volumes behave differently than local volumes?

I was getting at the possibility that the network drive may have been disconnected at the time µTorrent is trying to access the files. This happens when a workstation first boots and the workstation login password is different from network drive password. But after thinking about it some more, maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I've abandoned that idea... ;) I'm thinking more along the lines that the SAMBA server is not notifying µTorrent of changes to the auto-load directory. rob356 - Can you use Explorer and leave the autoload folder open? See if the SAMBA share responds to the "Change Notify" request from Explorer and the auto-load directory empties out.

And if you manually refresh the autoload folder does µTorrent process the .torrent files? I'm thinking you might have an old buggy version of SAMBA. Years ago, I recall SAMBA shares would not update files I added or deleted unless I manually refreshed the folder.

Archived