port forwarding

lisabradley100

Hi, am fairly new to all this, so any answers, please try to keep them simple, thanks. I have tried to manually portforward using my static ip address. Everything seems to be fine and all data correct according to portforward.com. In frustration we bought pfconfig. This also says router is updated and ok. I am still getting the error message 'port not forwarded correctly' and the yellow triangle. We have disabled windows firewall and allowed utorrent through norton as per instructions on portforward.com. This is getting really fraustrating as we have now been tinkering with this for two months, and downloads are still painfully slow. can anybody please give me any ideas? our router is netopia 2247NWG on eircom 2Mb. Please help

eire' eh? ;) Treats for all the wee laddies and lasses. So you first tested if you have full use of your line right? http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php mentions http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ though you could use a local mirror of http:/slackware.com/torrents/ I'd imagine just as easily, OR to compare nation vs. internation or EU vs non-EU traffic. 2Mbit suggests download only. What kind of speedtest results did you get? Because upload is more important to setting up uT correctly.

Also if you followed through http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 there's some changes you can make, and should note (usually using the Speed tab, scaled to 5 or 30 seconds) if they HELP or HURT your speeds on the same torrents. The easiest would be Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> Enable/Force Encryption and dis-allow legacy connections. Secondly many people overload their uT client 1) by settings upload too high or 2) too many connections per torrent and globally.

Hi, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately. still no joy. my speed tests (performed 5) gave a median of 1678kbps. I tested using openoffice as you suggested, and speeds jumped to 100+ in a matter of seconds, but our downloads are running (on average) between 5 and 20 - as you can imagine, often a day to download average size file, anything in Gb taking up to a week! As openoffice downloaded so quickly, could it be that we are just really unlucky with our choice of downloads?

If you could answer a couple of further questions, I would really appreciate your time. I remember reading information about these before, but we have looked at so much data at this stage, that I can't even find half of the pages i've viewed.

1. In router, should I enable VLAN? I only just noticed this is disabled

2. Also in router, it stated that no static routes are defined - should this be defined as we are using a static ip (prob a silly question, but as I said, new to all of this)

3. I read something about bridging helping to solve these problems (can't remember where tho) should I enable bridging in the router?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, and thanks again for your help

Well, it depends. What processes did you perform. Did you notice any change in download speeds after making any of the proposed additions?

1) Don't think that's related. 2) routes? If it's talking about rules then yes, you need IN port (your port), OUT port (your number), Source (any IP, if available as an option), Destination (your static IP from "cmd /k ipconfig"). 3)Bridge mode is usually only brought up when you have TWO NAT situations... aka you have a modem as well as a router with "forwarding" or "virtual server" functions. Bridge mode on the FIRST device (from the ISP's end) allows your computers to still be protected by the NAT from the second device.

Hi, thanks for responding again. Well, have done just about everything it seems possible to do now. The route query doesn't seem to my amateur explorations to be looking for a rule, so I've left it for now.

I have to admit to not paying too much attention to upload speeds previously, but they have def improved (up to 20-30+ from about 5-15+)(everyone receiving a connection from me - although I know they don't actually know its me - say a big thank you to this guy/gal!!! Download still no improvement tho. I think i'm getting to the point where i'm resigned to it now. Yellow icon flashed green for about 3 seconds a little while ago which has never happened before. I think I read somewhere that some changes take a few hours to go through protocol or something - might have been a load of rubbish but will see tomorrow. Thanx again for your help.

Lisa,

I called my ISP and then my router company on specific instructions on port forwarding. I was frustrated, too, and decided it worth a normal human to help. Port Forwarding is very common and they should be able to walk you through it. My ISP doesn't allow static IP so I had to bridge my modem and router which they helped me do.

Good luck!

Archived