Search Torrent as You Type (like in iTunes)

McoreD

@silverfire

I don't think stopped/queued torrents do much to µT's memory usage. :-P

@davince

It seems this feature is not going to get added, even though I would love it for it to be. Here's a work-aroud solution while you wait for this feature to become implimented: After you add a file to your list of torrents in µT, just single-click a torrent twice (not double-click, single-click twice) so it'll let you edit it's name. Then edit the name to something consistent. This won't alter the name of the file/folder you are download itself. Just it's name in the µT window. That way, it'll make it easier for you to find the file when you sort by Name using the columns.

-Karasuhebi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So it appears whatever link the above link references is busted - so there's not a way to open the "feature request tracking page."

Anyways, being the good user that I am, I decided to search if anyone had requested this before before making my own topic.

I seed everything that I download from private trackers, unless I truly just am done with it or deleting the file permanently. As a result, I have a lot of torrents. This feature would be VERY useful - and I believe it should be done with an additional input field, NOT separate pop-up (frickin' annoying) that could be focused via ctrl-f. Basically, what the preview from phaelox showed - that's exactly what would be the most useful. Two input fields will hardly clutter things - but for the OCD users, it could easily have a preference value to disable entirely.

"Old torrent's don't do much, but they do add up gradually."

Correct. If anything it'll just be minimal updating of the tracker from time to time. Even if one had 4000+ torrents, if each tracker were a 60 minute update, we're talking around 1.1 updates a second. Hardly a huge overhead. For the busted/removed torrents, that will be obvious from their red display and can be manually removed.

I really don't like when people have the torrents and original archives of something still around but decide that "we'll I've seeded until 1.x ratio, time to stop" is good enough. Well, for sure it's not leeching per se, but if *everyone* continued to seed the overall cost to everyone would be LESS. Think of it as hibernating swarms.

Edit: 60 second should have been 60 minute

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a minor variation that i can think of. Rather than just searching for torrents, a free text search for torrents/file names contained therein would be great. That way, i can get what i want without worrying what the name of the containing torrent file is.

• 6 months later...

Heh, I'm trying to recall if that build was actually ever public... We were complaining about the feature's design and implementation, not the feature itself.

Edit: Yeah, the build wasn't public. It was mostly Firon, alus and I complaining about the implementation (it was half-baked, and was buggy/crashy to boot). By my guess, it'll most likely return... someday.

Keep in mind: I don't make the decisions here; I simply make suggestions. It's just a (decent) guess that takes into account the fact that none of us opposed the feature itself. Doesn't make my word the final word, though, so don't quote me on that (and don't raise your hopes *too* high just because I said so :P).

uTunes = FAIL

When the feature gets re-implemented, how about accompanying it with a change to the button behaviour ;)

Personallly, I think ANYONE who bitches about search in the listview needs to try my resume.dat. (poke Ultima ;)) Windows I think has the hard-limit of 3 character "search" in the jumping mechanic for listviews. If I don't need any fancy "iTunes" feature to find similarly named torrents.... Additionally I don't see a benefit to the extra processing overhead... perhaps I missed that build though. :/ I don't remember an extra search engine "local" or whatnot, which would dynamically update the current listview based upon text entered.

Archived