Search Torrent as You Type (like in iTunes)

McoreD

Yes, you (along with everyone else) missed never saw the feature because as I mentioned earlier, it was in a private build only (along with another funky feature that would have some users shouting "bloat" xD).

Change in button behavior? It most likely won't happen in the normal search bar at all, since it'll try to filter the list even when users simply want to use a search engine (that was one of the bad designs that prompted the feature's removal). There wouldn't be any extra overhead for normal usage if it's implemented correctly.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. You might not need it, but I'm certain many others would. There's no denying the fact that it would be a useful feature for some.

(BTW, AFAIK, Windows doesn't have any limitation on the type-and-jump-to thing)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need it, but you're you, and probably know exactly where everything is. Other people might not have everything organized, and although they probably should organize things if they're having a hard time finding them, it shouldn't be a requirement (and a search feature would augment organization anyhow).

Unlike many other features that are requested, this feature actually has a fairly high utility value, and for that reason, I can't see anything but good coming from this being implemented (assuming it's implemented well).

Dunno, and that's part of the reason the feature was shoved off to the todo list :P

There was some chatter about how best to implement it before it was removed, but we never really reached any conclusion. The 2 suggestions I remember were something like Opera's search thing when you press "." on a webpage, or maybe like GTK+'s listview search thing, but they weren't too highly favored.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would really like this feature implemented as it was shown in this post. I have over 4k torrents simply because the source I get torrents from releases them in bulk, which I then load into utorrent. When I'm filtering through them looking for a torrent I don't want, there are usually a few others with similar properties that I would also like to get rid of (with similar file/torrent names). Right now the only way to get rid of them is by deleting the torrent files from the file system (which I can search through) and then deleting all erroneous torrents from the UI.

Even firefox has this now (though there are people who don't like it)

Not at all. I have had and continue to pump up my loaded torrents in uT, and my ideas about this have not changed. Prod added nothing new to the possible implementation benefits or ideas on how to. It is never a good idea IMO to compare one product/idea with another especially when they are not in the same market/niche.

If the user wants to use the search bar for the traditional torrent search engines, then every time he types something, µTorrent will start filtering the list -- even if the user wasn't trying to filter the list to begin with. A rather dumb design.

Before/if anyone suggests this... having internal search be a selectable "engine" of sorts is an ugly/clumsy/clunky design too.

Before/if anyone suggests this... having internal search be a selectable "engine" of sorts is an ugly/clumsy/clunky design too.

I don't think so. It depends how you implement it.

You can have utorrent's normal search as default and then the internal filter selectable and then some clear indicator to distinguish between the two modes. Maybe by changing the magnifying icon to a "filter icon" and the text in the box.

Users learns this kind of behavior fast because you see the result of the action immediately.

I actually took some time and made a gif to put it clear :P

utorrentfilter417.gif

Firon: OK. Do you have a better solution?

Btw, Firon are you tired or something? I mean why bother posting at all if you don't have anything constructive to say?

Some of your latest posts (oneliners):

Because that's a dumb idea.
No, it wasn't.
No.
No, obviously.
Won't work.
Uninstall NOD32 and get something else?
Roxio sucks anyway. Who cares?

etc.. Man, take a break.

Part of the reason the devs moved toward the new search bar was because so many users were confused about how to actually use the search -- the button didn't execute the search as expected. Regressing toward requiring an "Enter" on the keyboard to perform a search is not the direction we should be moving (and not the direction it will move toward).

At the very least, the two previously proposed solutions would be better.

"So many users were confused" That would be you, Firon and alus, right? :) I think it better to decide that in a larger userbase.

Another solution could be a pop-up window search (ctrl-f) like in IE. Or a pop-up bar that sticks to some edge like in firefox. Pressing "." to open the search seems a bit unintuitive..

That would be you, Firon and alus, right?

I'm on the forums enough to see enough people asking why they can't search. The search bar is fine as it is... any ideas I can see would be a move backwards in design (though I guess someone can always prove me wrong with a genius application of the bar -- I've yet to see one). The search bar behaves consistently with the search bars in other applications now, which was the point of the change between 1.7 and 1.8.

A popup dialog for searching is possible, but inelegant. A popup bar is along the same lines as the GTK+ listview search -- it's already been considered, and is (IMO) the likeliest candidate for implementation.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, it's a workable solution, but I still maintain my opinion that it's not as elegant as a popup bar :)

A powerful implementation of search that I've thought of (but might probably be considered bloat by some):

While messing with foobar2000, I remembered that it's got this plugin for it's Columns UI interface that basically adds a search bar. When you perform a search, it creates a new playlist containing just the results of the search query. Taking a page out of "saved searches" in Vista (or at least what I've read of it and what it was supposed to do), maybe a search query can be savable (into the Category list) and made dynamic (meaning new torrents would also be shown there). That might eliminate the need for automatic labeling that some have requested.

No, I'm not pushing for this (since I myself would have little use for it -- I have few torrents loaded at any given time), but just throwing ideas around :P

• 5 months later...

i agree this feature would be fantastic!

i only have about 500 torrents or so but still i find myself having trouble to find some of them that are named strangely. I use the labels to group torrents by tracker, so if i'm looking for an album there are a few trackers it might have been from eg. what or waffles etc. and this type of search would make everything a whole lot easier.

my thoughts on implementation:

ctrl+F = firefox style find bar that slides up from the bottom of the screen would work well. doesn't have to be on the bottom, could be anywhere the devs thinks looks best, i personally don't care. again similar to firefox, it could have a close button on the find tool bar to hide it again, or just use "esc".

the search results i think could appear like they do on windows explorer - folders view (at least in xp, my only experience) where it appears underneath the root level objects (such as my computer, my network places, recycle bin, search results)

obviously for utorrent it would be: all, downloading, completed, active, inactive, search results.

possibly if you view the last used search results the search / find bar would slide up again automatically to show you what the search string used was.

all in all i really don't care too much how it gets implemented, i'd still use it often and be grateful for it being there. fingers crossed it's not much of a wait till it's in!

Archived