Does initial seeding shut off automatically once there r more seeders?

torrenteer

I read you're only supposed to use it when you're the only seeder but after there are more seeds does it shut off automatically or do I have to remember to shut it off? Cuz I would hate having to keep track of that. Also the FAQ suggests not to use it if I have a high upload speed but it doesn't say what is considered high. Furthermore, it says it's best used when there are at least 2 peers, so again, do I have to watch the window and wait until at least 2 peers get on before I switch it on? That's not very convenient.

Well what's your upload speed? Initial seed is an option in the torrent properties and must be manually set/unset. The purpose is to be un-wasteful when seeding such that you don't for ex keep sending out pieces 1 and N where N is the end of the file for people to preview their data. It only sends one piece out per ratio and waits for it to be received by another peer before sending out. Thereby it sends more data to those who share more. The reason many people don't use it say if they're only seeding 1 torrent on 1Mbit upload is that if the swarm is small and you don't always have a free peer to send a piece to, you'll have "wasted" upload bandwidth potential.

my max upload is about 60-70 KB. I usually upload at like 40 or 50 KB. It would be nice if there was an option to make it automated. Like if utorrent could detect you were the only seed and once 2 peers connected it would automatically switch on superseed and once there were more than 1 seed it would automatically shut off. Otherwise I'm too forgetful to watch it and switch it on and off.

And how do you tell if there are other seeds besides yourself? Once you finish uploading to them and they reach 100% they disappear from the Peers window.

Sometimes, not always actually. Remember as a "super-seed" you are not reporting to others/trackers as a seed, but another peer. You may see seeds occasionally connect to you and disconnect. You will also see this behaviour in the numbers in General tab if say you STOP the torrent. Starting again will start with the peers #, and gradually the seeds # will increase.

@ 50KiBps, that's 17 slots maximum divided among your torrents on average. Thinking about it this way @ 50 KiBps one 4MiB piece takes 82 seconds to send out to someone. Afterwards what's the likelihood on a small swarm that the peer you just sent the piece to will send it back out to someone else just as fast? Alternatively, splitting a 4MiB piece @ the average 3KiBps (51 KiBps/17 slots) will take 22 minutes. Now for a minimum speed I recommend 15 KiBps per slot when super seeding because @ that rate it only takes 4.5 minutes to send out a piece, thereby squeezing under the default 5 minute "disconnect inactive" peers. Keep in mind this is all opinion based upon desire to help the swarm.

DWK - I read that too, so rather than switching them back and forth I took mine out of superseed mode and just left them in regular mode - plus that tends to decrease the number of ones reported as dead by my tracker even when I have a full (originating seed) copy. I think it would be cool for this to be an automated process, but it isn't and the best way to deal with it if you don't want to spend a lot of time messing around is to just not use it -unless maybe you only have one or two, but with 40 active, it is not feasible.

Archived