Disk read cache

Roisen.dubh

How do I change the disk read cache?

Overriding the automatic cache size in the disk cache settings under advanced only changed the write cache, and I can not find any options in advanced that apply to what I'm looking for.

Also, transfers via LAN are limited to ~400kBps. I am aware that there was a similar problem 2 years ago that could be found by searching, but the problem was never resolved. What could be bottlenecking transfers? (from Vista to Server 2003)

... Read cache is used as part of the cache, when needed. Use Speed tab, Disk Statistics view to see current cache usage.

If you want it to use the full RAM you specify, turn off the options to limit/remove/change in the Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> Disk Cache view.

The similar problem 2 years ago was before the current Disk Cache view was adopted. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=175131#p175131

If you don't want LAN transfers to be limited by your peer settings turn off Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> limit local peer bandwidth.

When I manually set the cache to 64MB, the disk statistics shows that my write cache is 0kB / 64MB, and my read cache is (initially) 1MB / 1MB. After ~20 minutes, my read cache will slowly increase to 24.0MB / 24.1MB, and that is just a very long spin-up time. Considering that I am only uploading to a single client right now, and later I will be uploading to 10+ clients...

Also, now that the read cache has finally leveled off at 24MB, my upload speed still hasn't increased

Initially, I thought that the low read cache was choking my upload speeds, and I highly suspect that it was. Before the read cache leveled off, upload speeds were bouncing between 0 and 400kBps, but now they're pretty consistent at 400kBps. It would be nice if I could just set the read cache to a high level to begin with so that the cache won't have to slowly ramp up to 24MB and mildly choke speeds in the process. If there is no way to do this, then I guess I'm out of luck.

As for the speeds being capped to 400kBps on a gigabit network... I'll just start a new thread.

Thanks for not answering the questions.

It has to "ramp" up because it can't magically buffer XX MiB of data. You set the cache... you let the uploader start the cache. If either remove old blocks or turn off read cache if the upload speed is low is enabled you're likely to have to rebuffer the data. Also you should turn off reduce memory usage, if you want uT to "keep" your override local cache setting.

Sorry, After I answered the first part of your question, I forgot that there was a second part.

checked options are:

Enable caching of disk writes

write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes

write out finished pieces immediately

enable caching of disk reads

remove old blocks from the cache

increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing

Agreed. But were you achieving 5MB speeds using utorrent, or 5MB speeds transferring through explorer (drag-n-drop). If you did that using utorrent, then you have achieved what I'm trying to do.

I'm unsure how to check this PIO mode, but the HDD that the file is on is capable of sustaining transfers at hundreds of times what it is now.

In XP it's System Properties, Hardware, Device Manager... or compmgmt.msc -> Device Manager

I presume it's something similar in those other OSes. I can hit just over 12 MBps in direct-copy and just over 11 over bittorrent. As I said check those options, then check the hub... Did you read my link to M. Russinovich's blog?

Archived