LAN transfers are EXTREMELY slow

Roisen.dubh

Transfers using utorrent over my GB lan are capped at ~400kB. Thre was a similar issue here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=2459.

What could be limiting the transfer speeds?

network is:

client -> hub -> client

all are gigabit enabled.

Initial seeding is turned off.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Thought this might help:

uploadgridad2.th.jpg

edit2:

Just noticed the sticky regarding speed problems...

Stupid question... how do you tell a hub is GigE? Back in the day there were lights for when it was working in 100BaseT mode :P

I'd start by testing the drive itself can transfer at those speeds... setup a second uT on one machine, bind it to a different port, load the same torrent, and seed on one to the other port. Start with localhost (127.0.0.1) then move to the LAN IP. If both sides perform that test OK.... isolate the hub. If you know how to make or have on hand a crossover cable, great. If not, use another device with multiple ports, repeater, switch, router... doesn't matter.

As far as UPnP/NAT-PMP both of those are for auto-detecting your devices on the LAN for which you may need to forward ports. It's unnecessary in a LAN environment. Regarding the picture, what changed for it to go stagnant and flat to the sine wave @ 700 KiBps?

Truth is, I'm only kind of sure that the hub is gigabit... That's what my friend told me when he gave it to me, but even if it was 100baseT, I would think the speed would be HDD limited.

I'm not aware how to open a second instance of utorrent. clicking on the link or the .exe brings up the instance that I already have running. However HD Tune benches my HDD's sustained transfer speed at 40MBps.

I don't have a crossover available to rule out the hub, but transferring files over explorer results in at least 10Mbps when going through the hub.

And for the picture, I didn't do anything to make the speed increase. It had been sitting at ~400 for a while, then went to ~700 and ~900, then dropped to ~200 for about 10 minutes, and is now back at ~500

Archived