uTorrent won't go above 1.1MB/s

oUrTorrent

I find that my connection maxes out at 1.1MB/sec in uTorrent. I took a bandwidth throttling test to see what was up. my ISP does inhibit my ability to seed (however it appears as if I am seeding at the max limit I set, and it doesn't seem to affect my download speed) but it also showed no signs of limiting torrent connections at all since the test showed a 2.7MB/s test torrent download speed, it tested to see if torrent protocols were being throttled. I've gotten well over 2MB/s with bitcomet in the past. my max bandwidth is around 3MB/s. I've changed ports, forced encryption, change max half open connections from 10 to 50 to 100, (and various settings in utorrent) still no impact. I have my download set to unlimited, but I've also tried setting it to half and max of my full download speed with no change, it always tops out at 1.1MB/s, whether I have one or several highly seeded torrents downloading at the same time.

BitComet doesn't use bittorrent for most of the speed it "gets". All "LT" peers are masked HTTP servers.

If you can't get > 9Mbit, check to be sure the bottleneck isn't somewhere else. Isolate parts of your connection you can control, first over local machine, then LAN... then switch out any hardware you can. If you're directly connected to the POP (modem), it's likely you're just shaped @ just under half of your ... 25?Mbit line.

Does http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ download @ > 9Mbit?

that download only averages around 200KB/s, not going to fast, but of course I'm only seeding 0.4KB/s, even that is far below normal and below the limit I have set for uploads. I have a direct to cable modem connection with onboard LAN. however, the test did look for shaping by checking for throttling by downloading a test torrent through an applet, not utorrent. this should show if torrent protocols are being limited, and as I said previously, it averaged 2.7MB/s. I'm quite sure the bottleneck doesn't have anything to do with my PC or any settings on it, and I'm half sure that the torrent protocol isn't rate limited, depending on if the test is accurate or not.

Oh :D whoops...k I don't know. Have you tried one of the more popular and multi-homed http://slackware.com/torrents/ If you've isolated your setup, its your ISP they shape you. They may not be shaping you now, or they may shape you only under certain conditions, http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 covers most of what else I'd suggest :P

slackwaredl.png

now I know it says 1.4MB/s (this is the max this torrent went) and I know I said I max out at 1.1MB/s, which is the average I max out at. I'll often have it jump from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, and back down again between those when maxing a torrent, but the average is usually 1.1MB/s solid. 1.4MB/s is about the maximum I've seen it go so far in uTorrent, that I can remember..but of course, it doesn't sustain anything above 1.1MB/s for more than a few seconds.

I'm using 1.7.7, and I think the disk cache settings area is the only one I haven't fooled with, it is set on automatic. everything is checked but the first and last check box. however, I don't see how that could cause a problem because I'm sure the default is more than a few MB in size (32MB default I think?) which should be more than enough to keep from slowing my download speed.

Check your disk statistics (under speed tab) and see how big your cache is. You might be maxing it out, meaning you hard drive simply can't keep up with faster downloads.

EDIT: And I don't think 32 MB is large enough for those d/l speeds. What settings do you have under the disk cache tab? The FAQ lists out which ones to have off when using fast downloads and large caches.

Archived