disappearing files?

geekchick

I'm running a clean install of Windows XP home, SP2 (just installed on Wednesday), and utorrent 1.7.7, build 8179. On Saturday I noticed that I had downloaded a file, started seeding it, and then a little later on, it was gone. I downloaded it again, finished downloading, made a copy and placed in another directory, and then that file and the copy were gone when I was finished seeding. Now I'm downloading it for the third time. I'm not running any software except AVG anti-virus, Zone Alarm personal firewall, and utorrent. This doesn't happen with all torrents, just with this one. This is a .rar file and I have not opened it or done anything to it in any way, except for making a copy in a different directory. Now when I finish downloading it I will make a copy to the flash drive and then remove the flash drive from my system. I'm not connected to any other computers and I'm the only person in my house, and I don't have any pets, so the dog didn't accidentally delete it . . . I'm confused!

Oh, btw, only the .rar file gets deleted. The txt file that is also in the torrent stays there, although utorrent can't find it, even on a force recheck, even when it's in the right directory.

Do you use iTunes or another media player which has "library" management? Rar files don't just delete themselves... unless of course you ran it. Was it Application filetype or Archive? :/

If by can't find you mean if you right click force recheck the file doesn't show there that's normal. If it's the end of the torrent and there's nothing leading up to it and it's not > 1 piecesize, you will see nothing there.

I don't use any media player. I didn't run the .rar file (I don't have winrar installed yet.) I opened the folder where I downloaded it and the file is not there at all. Neither is the copy that I copied to the directory just above where I saved it. The torrent has 34 pieces in the rar file, and 1 piece in a txt file. I did software testing for 20+ years so I do know something about this, and now it's happened with a few files in another torrent as well (all .jpgs plus one .txt file). The files download and then just disappear. I checked them as they downloaded and they load up just fine, I start to seed and then the files disappear.

Archived