the request to utorrent has timed out

dbbd

Using utorrent 1.7.7 and webUI.

I successfully connect to my utorrent, and get the data on the webui screen

but seconds later I get a popup saying "the request to utorrent has timed out".

Refreshing the webUI page fails and I loose all the data.

Connecting later succeeds again, and then same error.

Any ideas?

Dan

How are you so sure? Have you tried limiting your upload. I have never seen uT give any timeout like that.. mainly because I always limit my upload. I wasn't even aware uT implemented timers ... there was a post which spoke of this recently, but I can't seem to find it... basically it was a request for a timer to wait for updating, when adding a torrent ... and well it didn't get received well; probably due to "ok so i am on dialup and I choked my connection, what do I do"...

If you read the thread from its start, you'll see that I had limited upload, and I unlimited it only in order to test if it was the reason for the timeout.

Apparently the upload speed has nothing to do with the timeout.

As to the timer, it seems that the timer is in webUI, not in uT.

uh oh - you're sending me to read the code...

Anyway,

I'm going over the webUI install instructions, it sais:

N.B: Please make sure you are using the latest build of µTorrent (currently 1.6.1. build 490) that comes with this webui download, and not the µTorrent build that comes with the installer package.

I did not do that !!!

my utorrent is the 1.7.7 latest stable.

Could that be the reason?

Why doesn't webUI test the utorent version and report incompatibility?

I have yet to experience timeouts in running ut from build 47X something... that's 1.6 beta. I use WebUI daily on at least three instances. Never have I experienced timeouts. You have a broken setup somewhere. If you can debug the JS i.e. follow the calls and see what's failing, that's how you find out why you're getting timeouts. There is no incompatibility, unless it's with your browser. I don't know how different ff is on linux. Is it the current 2.0.0.14 release? As you see from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#firefox2.0.0.14 they fixed something in JS. What version are you using?

I have ff 2.0.0.10 - will try to upgrade.

The js failure is from:

"Request":function(qs,_d,_e){

new Ajax(this.url+qs,"GET",_e,_d,function()

{

utWebUI.Timeout();

}

,10000);

} ,

The utWebUI.Timeout() issues the popup I'm getting. I think this is the "refresh" method i.e. webUI is querying ut in order to update the browser page data.

Please note I do get data from time to time, and I also succeed to load new torrents.

============================================

Well, I upgraded to 2.0.0.14 - it took 15 seconds after webUI opened, and the same damnned dislog pops up again.

• 2 weeks later...

If it updates from time to time but you also get the timeout from time to time you are probably chocking your upload. µtorrent doesn't have to be the sole cause of that in fact it could be another program that is chocking your upload or a combination of programs. Make sure it isn't µtorrent by capping it's upload with a safe margin and then go hunting for other programs abusing your upload.

This was the first answer to the original post. I checked it. Upload of utorrent is capped. There are no other uploads, I have a netmeter running. It happens also when there's no traffic whatsoever except webUI.

This is definitely a webUI/uTorrent interface bug, and has nothing to do with

bandwidth.

Ok. Just wanted to make sure you checked it all. In fact this is one of the few not-bandwidth related Timeout issue I've heard of myself. And usually the other cause is too many connections. So we wanna be absolutely positive it isn't either before we even start thinking about it being something else. So try reducing the total number of maximum connections in µtorrent to 20 (just to test for a while) and restart your router and computer. See if it solves the issue. If not:

It is unlikely to be a bug in the webui/utorrent interface itself because we should have heard about it more then just once in 18 months (since last change) if it was. It probably has to do with something specific to your situation. A browser setting, a plugin/addon/extension, a router doing something weird, a wifi connection doing something weird. Etc. Could you tell us:

Have you tried it localhost (as in access the webui on the same computer as that µtorrent is running)?

Have you tried from different places on the internet if so which (work, a friend, school, etc)?

Which browser have you tried? Have you tried clean/fresh installs without addons of that/those browser(s)?

I'm glad to cooperate. I'll try to change the connections # & reboot when I get back to my home computer later today.

When I installed webUI I tested localhost, had no problems.

My use for webUI is for accessing my uTorrent from work.

I'm using a Fedora core 7, with firefox 2 (currently 2.0.0.14). Did not try to remove addons. [My addons are: adblock, chatzilla, chromatabs, delicio, download-mgr, google-notebook, no-squint & tabbrowser - are there known issues with any of them?]

I can also try to use webUI from another computer on my home network, in order to take out the router from the equation. I'll do that later today as well.

Thanks,

Dan

At work you can make a second clean profile by running the Firefox Profile Manager and you can always remove it later. Its an good way to see if its a add-on problem. If the clean profile does work you could add your add-ons one by one to find out which one is causing the problem.

No problem. We'll track the problem down. Keep us posted.

I was starting to write that you were right, but waited with the post.

Here goes:

I created a plain-vanilla profile, loaded webUI. For the first 30 minutes, had no problems. Added 2 torrents, webUI updated just fine.

After 30 minutes, I got the same timeout.

My workplace network connection can get choked at times. Could this be the problem?

Dan

Archived