Slow speeds (sorry)

drdimmer

Not another speed problem I know, sorry but I would be thankful for any help...

I am a previous bit commet user and with that bit torrent client i got downloads in excess of 100 KB/s if it was a nice seeder this was from mainly private trackers. I have tried the open office download as suggested in different parts of the forum and the maximum speed I seem to be able to get is 20kB/s occasionally but seems to be staying under 15kB/s.

TO answer the basic questions:

I do get a 'Network OK' message.

My ISP is manx.net and am running an ADSL service I have been told is quoted as the 2mb service. Speed tests from ADSL guides give me the following results:

True speed (estimated)

Down stream 1726 Kbps (215.8 KB/sec)

Up stream 228 Kbps (28.5 KB/sec)

I am running on Windows XP service pack 1.

I am behind a wireless router (Dlink DSL -604+) and am using uPnP in uTorrent and this shows up find in my routers config that the port is working. I have tried the NAT test online and that is working fine also and I got a 'PASS'.

I have a software firewall Sysgate and the firewall is set to Allow on the torrent.

I am unaware of any malicious traffic shaping the ISP do, but I do know they use to operate Traffic prioritisation, but doesn't seem to be an issue as I have downloaded on Bitcomet on my other computer on a private tracker at fine speeds reaching over 100KBs.

My current settings in uTorrent are:

Global maximum Upload rate: 28kB/s

Max download rate: 0 (Unlimited)

Global maximum number of connections: 200

Maximum number of connected

peers per torrent: 50

Number of slots per torrent : 5

I hope I have provided enough information to begin with.

Many Thanks

DrDimmer

Cheers, that is the download I tested with to get my speed of under 20kB/s :(.

I am downloading 'OOo_2.0.0_Win32Intel_install.exe' 164 in a swarm of seeds and 4 in a swarm of peers. DOwnload is still staying at a constant around 20kB/s raises occasionally to slightly above 30kB/s. Still slower than I prevoiusly could get with bitcommet

Any other ideas?

Just judging from the speeds you're getting on the OpenOffice torrent, your ISP is more than likely doing more mailicious traffic shaping than first appears.

The amount of available bandwidth on the OpenOffice torrents is enough to saturate the download on your connection (and ones in the 10mbit download range easily). If you aren't getting the full speed, your ISP is the first suspect.

My current settings in uTorrent are:

Global maximum Upload rate: 28kB/s

Max download rate: 0 (Unlimited)

Global maximum number of connections: 200

Maximum number of connected

peers per torrent: 50

Number of slots per torrent : 5

Just like others have said, you need to reduce your max upload rate slightly -- to 20-25 KB/sec.

After that, the number of upload slots per torrent is probably a bit too high. 20 KB/sec divided by 5 is at most 4 KB/sec per upload slot if only 1 torrent is running, or 2 KB/sec if 2 torrents are running. You need to reduce it back to the default of 4 if you run 1 or 2 torrents at a time, or you need to reduce it to 3 if you like to run 3+ torrents at once.

Global maximum connections is probably a bit too high, although connections per torrent is ok.

DHT is unneccessary and wasteful if the torrents you're after already have 20 or more peers+seeds.

Not that it's currently a problem...but you might want to limit max download rate to 200-210 KB/sec.

Your router may pass the NAT test online while under no or low-load, but progressively fail as the number of connections increases. D-link routers are notoriously bad at handling UPnP under p2p file-sharing loads, but you may have gotten one of the 'better' ones in that regard.

Archived