Port forwarding PROBLEM

Luke07

Here is my problem:

There is a YELLOW icon on bottom of utorrent (that says: "No incoming connections. Unless this icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration.")

and

The PORT the program is using in NOT opened. (It says: "Error! Port 18256 does not appear to be open. Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.")

There is a list of routers and firewalls at www.portforward.com and I don't know what to choose. How can I find this out?

Assuming your computer is using a wired network...

Look at the back of your computer and find the wire that looks like a telephone cord (only, with a bigger/fatter end). Follow that wire until you hit the other end -- what device is it connected to?

Yes, I'm using wired network. My laptop (with utorrent) is connected to desktop computer with UTP cable. Desktop computer is connected to the black box (with the cable you described). There are some blinking lights on this box and I noticed that our TV is also connected to this box.

The information written on this black box:

T2 (our internet and TV provider)

MiLAN Technology

MIL-SM801G

Managed 8 Ports10/100BASE-TX + 1000BASE-FX

(There are also other things written down (like LNK/ACT ...) but I believe they are not important here ...)

But this switch/router isn't mentioned in the list at http://www.portforward.com/

How can I forward the port?

You connect to the internet using the switch? The instructions don't mention anything about NAT functions either so.. what's the IPA of the desktop computer? Start > Run > ipconfig /all. And when you say UTP, what exactly are you doing to get net access on your laptop? Are you able to use use µTorrent successfully on the desktop?

I get net access on my laptop only if the desktop computer is turned on. It is Ethernet (local area network connection).

µTorrent works successfully on the desktop (there is a green sign at the bottom). I checked ip configurations on both computers and noticed a few things:

IP routing is enabled on desktop but not on my laptop. And DHPC is not enabled too.

IP adresss, subnet masks, default gateways, DHPC,DNS servers (of course) are different.

And if I check my laptop IP address on some internet site (whatismyipaddress.com for example) it shows the IP of my desktop computer.

Hope the information help ... :)

The problem is probably your desktop computer :/. I still want you to check the address in your desktop computer, NOT on a website. DHPC? Do you mean DHCP? And how are you getting access through your desktop? Internet Connection Sharing? Also, the computers firewall, you did open a port for your laptop right? And did you choose a different port?

What do you mean by checking the address in my desktop computer? It is different than IP on laptop ...

Here are IP configurations of my desktop and laptop computer. I covered some information to avoid hacking because my desktop is not firewalled.

desktopipconfigall2dn2.th.png laptopipconfigall2lb5.th.png

Desktop Laptop

I didn't open any ports for my laptop on the desktop computer, I just connect it with UTP cable.

Yep, it's your desktop computer. You need to get the desktop computer to forward to your laptop. Also, you can't just hook up a computer and then it automatically works, you have to have either a program or Internet Connection Sharing running on the desktop. If you have ICS, you can port forward from your desktop to your notebook computer.

On the desktop:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click "Local Area Connection", properties > Advanced > Internet Connection Sharing area, Settings > Add > Enter a name for the portforwarding rule > Enter your laptops address > Enter the µT listening port on your laptop in both fields > TCP > OK > Repeat Add, same details except set UDP.

Archived