I lose tracking status on all my torrents after time

johnac

Please help I am having a terrible time trying to figure out this problem.

If I leave the computer alone for more than an hour. Say I set it up to upload while I am at work or sleeping at night. I come back and find all my torrents have gone red and I am no longer getting credit for the uploading from the tracker source. They either say offline(timed out) or they say connection closed by peer.

For example yesterday I started utorrent and went to work and forgot to reset it befor bed and went to sleep. When I got back up today I had uploaded 5 gig of data but everything was red and the site only showed I had gone from 296 .00 gig to 296.24 gig worth of transfer. This is a real probem for me since the site I use requires at lease a 1 to 1 ratio maintained to be allowed to download and a 2 to 1 ratio to keep in good standings.

I have even tried setting the upload speed to 75 kb/s even though I can easily handle a speed of 100+kb/s, thinking that it may be just that too much of the bandwidth is being used up for it to keep the updates current, but it still has no luck staying green.

Even stranger if I don't catch it in time and they have all gone red for a while even if I pause the torrents I can't use the internet for anything . Everything is locked up and all I get is the standard can not connect error. I have to unplug the router count to 10 and plug it back in just to get an internet connection again. Not that that stops any of the actual uploading from utorrent it will keep right on running feeding all who need it no problem. just no credit for any of it.

I have already done the necessary port forwarding and as long as I babby sit the program and pause all the torrents and manually update them when they start going red it will work but if I leave it alone it gets ugly.

This wasn't a big deal when I was off on vacation I basically just stayed with the machine keeping it all running smoothly but now that I am back to work I would like to be able to start the torrents and just head of to work without having to worry about them getting the proper ratio all the time. as it is they only time I can share files now and get credit is in the moring before work and in the few hours between when I get home and befor I fall asleep. Most of the rest of the time I am sharing without credit. It's really geting to become a problem for my ratio.

using utorrent 1.7.7 now with the outgoing forced protocal cryption option on. Any help you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Did you change Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen? If so put it back to default by pressing RESET. More information is needed including your current Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) settings, and any other changes you made to settings.

It's also possible your router is simply b0rked from the high settings you have. Have you searched this forum for your make/model of router and modem to see if anyone has already posted about max safe settings you can use?? Go through http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php to make sure you're not overloading the connection at the end of this reporting and see if it helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Users are going to get sick of my repeating this fix, but I spent hours working on finding it, so I'm proseltyzing.

Patch TCPIP.SYS to raise the half-open limit from 10 to 40, using a free proggie like

Event ID 4226 Patcher from www.lvllord.de.

Leave uTorrent's setting alone.

Believe me, this will do it.

Cheers.

You don't need to raise your halfopen, and you SHOULDN'T raise it if you're ALREADY having troubles.

nonan thanks for your perspective, but 1) you posted in an old thread :P 2) this thread isn't likely related to that. It's more likely the ISP in johnac's case. But then again without an update after 3 weeks... it becomes old as well ;)

Please don't let this dissuade you from contributing when you can contribute on-topic and timely help to others here. We all want people who come here to find the help they require.

Archived