Speedtest says port is closed, after i opened it?

razormuse

Hi i have a problem here, when i run the utorrent speedtest it says this:

''Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 52000 on 62.163.156.45...

Error! Port 52000 does not appear to be open.''

Well i dont get it because i did everything right, i used the guide on portforward.com

1. i made a static ip 192.168.1.200

2. opened port 52000 in router's menu (e-tech rtpr02) with the static ip 192.168.1.200. i did this in the virtual server

3. i dont have a software firewall, i dont have the xp firewall on.

4. in my virus scanner NOD32 i accepted utorrent.exe

5. then when i run the speedtest its says the port is closed..

Someone please help me? that would be great!

i guess this :P

1. means the torrent is downloading, but there is a tracker error (see question above)

2.These red icons indicate that µTorrent was not able to reach the tracker. This could happen when the tracker goes offline, becomes overloaded, or when the domain simply doesn't exist anymore. Check Tracker Status on the General tab to see what the exact error message is.

In many cases, seeing this (especially if you see hostname not found in Tracker Status) and having DHT on but still having no peers to connect to may mean that you'll have to find another copy of the torrent on another tracker.

In some cases, this is normal because the tracker is overloaded or temporarily down. The torrent itself should keep seeding/downloading as long as you got some peers, and if the tracker comes back up or becomes responsive, you should have no lost ratio so long as you don't close µTorrent or stop the torrent.

But has this anything to do with my port that is closed?

thx for helping

I'd solve the tracker error first... I'm guessing it says "Offline (Timeout)" ?

After that it should download/speed better and more regular. If you've got timeout issues with infrequent (they're only every 15-30 minutes) responses it's likely the setup problems are also affecting your port yes.

Yes the tracker status says offline (timeout) and it wil be updated in like 9 minutes.

but how can i fix the tracker error?

edit:

the port got opened few minutes ago, but when i restarded utorrent it closed again. i changed nothing in the setting wtf lol?

If it opens and closes occasionally it means their management system is kicking in I guess... In that graph the only thing "bad" about chello is they don't own their own lines. So though it's possible you may suffer slower speeds depending on the time of day/week... it's likely something at your end (modem ----> computer) which is unstable or not able to handle the load you run it under. If the router can get an alternate firmware, DO IT! http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers is only the most prominently known. That's the tradeoff... lower quality routers can likely handle lots of blocked connections without forwarding because it doesn't have to keep track of things... but when you try to improve your situation and others connecting to you by opening ports they mostly roll over and die :P They simply weren't made for that kind of usage, so definitely see what you can do about your current setup. Did you lower your upload speed? or connections per torrent? or global connections? and decrease your half-open?

after i lowered some of those thing (except 'half-open' can you explain?) i ame now downloading 30kb/s with my port open. but i think when i restart utorrent the port will get closed again :(

but its so weird the port seems to open randomly..

Many guides recommend changing Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen ABOVE the default of 8.. this is not a good idea. If yours is higher than 8, press RESET. If not, that's not the problem. Regarding 30 KiBps, you don't see http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Download_Limited_in_the_status_bar_mean.3F do you?

If it opens and closes... that can be lived with as long as you don't keep having the tracker timeout problems.

You can increase it BACK towards 8 to see if that was the original reason for the timeout ;) If it works @ 2, great, move it to 3, 4, 5, 6. If the timeout occurs again then you know what the problem likely is. The thing the half open affects is how fast you connect to peers. . .Say you set yourself up to connect to 50 peers per torrent. @ the original limit of 8 that would take 7 seconds. At your current limit that would take 25 seconds... to make that many connection attempts. So for people with large swarms of blocked peers and who know they are able to download, some INCREASE the settings above 8 so they can get the speed quicker. But there is no benefit other than that, AND it negatively impacts lots of other things.

hmm i restarded utorrent again and the port was still open :)

then i tried downloading that openoffice again, and the status = downloading.

the speed is around 15kb/s sometimes in the 30's kb/s

i think its almost fixed isn't it? :)

but ye, 30kb/s is pretty slow i think, because i donwload 100kb/s on the internet.

any ways to boost up the download speed?

thx

If it's still 30, you're likely under the shaping profile times right now. Test every hour or so for 1-3 minutes all week and keep track if at certain times you get better speeds. Since it's likely NOT your direct ISP there's not much they can do for you. Also if you like you can check out 1.8 beta from http://utorrent.com/download.php and run it like this http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_share_my_torrents_between_user_profiles.3F so it doesn't interfere with your current uT. There are reports it gets around some shaping ... not all though unfortunately. Indeed on 1Mbit down connection theoretically you can get 128 KiBps... but that's down to something like 118-120 due to protocol overheads iirc. I'd say if at un-shaped times you can get 80-90 download that's QUITE good.

So like I said, test, retest, test all day and night and weekends and weekdays. See if you can find a time where that OpenOffice downloads > 30 and you'll know when to expect faster speeds.

Archived