sandvine fix?

jizam

i previously mentioned this over in the troubleshooting thread, but thought i'd officially suggest it here.

in lieu of the recent fcc hearings on the use of sandvine on isp's (comcast, cablevision, etc,) they seem to have shifted their method from rst/disconnect to limiting the the u/l AND d/l speed for each connected peer. what happens is, you'll make a connection with the peer and then there's the initial spike (both ways but i'm particularly interested in the u/l) in speeds, then after 15 or so seconds everything starts dramatically slowing down. just playing around, i figured out that if i click the torrent's properties and click 'initial seeding' then go back and uncheck it, the peers disconnect and then reconnect and my speeds start maxing out again.

i was wondering if there's a way to create something that would spot the point when i become throttled with a connected peer, and then quickly toggle the initial seeding on and off to regain speeds. hopefully this makes sense. thanks in advance...

Initial Seeding shouldn't be used lightly. No automated way to implement it will be added according to previous posts. Shaping is shaping, and can only be defeated if your traffic doesn't match whatever dpi heuristic the boxes employ. (read as VPN / tunnel, unless the ISP now shapes irregardless of packet type (i.e. all encrypted traffic it can't inspect)... Have you checked out 1.8 to see if encryption and the workarounds are effective>?

This really should be addressed..... Most everyone I know who is using Utorrent is getting like 10k/10k rates or less on a single download now. What makes this odd is that it also seems to cause Utorrent to slow down our PCs heavily and does it on both 1.8 and the current 1.7.

Only people with http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software or broken drivers have experienced PC slowdown.

Bandwidth has little impact on computer performance unless you're pushing the bus near its limits (10+ Mbit symmetric connections).

There are also at least 3 other threads about this, two which talk about alternatives. One is some draft spec which requires the tracker to change its operation, the other is a proposed spec to add an additional/alternate key of peers so that these devices which harvest such information are rendered... less useful. To my knowledge noone gets around the newer shaping ... on any client.

I run on a T1 or gigabit line most of the time, but when and do know what you mean about the slowing down at the 10+Mbit level, but at the same time I'll be downloading a single file at my friends place and running like 8/5 and my machine can go to a crawl or I can be a coffee shop where I am now who uses embarq and have 10 downloads going with a total of 200k/130k and notice nothing. Some of my other friends are also noticing the same problem. Its really just odd

Archived