download speed and PC lag

oUrTorrent

I notice that at times when I am getting over 1MB/sec in utorrent, my PC starts to lag a bit. is it possible there can be to much data for my pc to handle? It will happen even if I have nothing else running, even background processes. if I try to load say firefox, the PC stops responding for a few seconds, same with webpages. but the same thing still happens with non-internet applications. I'm not running anything special, just a 2.4Ghz A64, 3GB PC3200 6444MB/s 50.2ns, two 7200rpm HD's, one for downloads, one for OS and applications.

I also noticed the other day when I closed utorrent after downloading/seeding, and loaded up a multi player game, I had some serious lag spikes in my netgraph which went away after a few minutes. could utorrent be the cause of this? I didn't check any of the incoming connections, but I suspect that maybe after disconnecting all of a sudden, peers might still be sending packets my way and I'm getting flooded?

If you've set uTorrent's half open connection rate too high, Windows overloads and even after shutting down uTorrent it may take a couple minutes to clear up. ...aggrievated worse by new connections coming in of peers/seeds trying to recontact you even after shutting down uTorrent.

A reboot would clear that up...but that's possibly slower than just waiting. :(

Check your uTorrent settings vs. your line speed as well. Upload may be set too high or something. :(

my max half open is set to 100, but even a setting on 50 makes no difference. in utorrent I have it set at 80.

I am on a static IP, so maybe a reboot won't work so well. my upload is always set half my max upload.

but I really am more worried about the slow downs when downloading than the small lag after closing utorrent.

I am using XP pro, I've reset to default of eight, we'll see if it does anything.

EDIT: I'm not one for premature judgment, but setting max half open connections in utorrent to default seems to have helped quite a bit. are there are guides on tweaking utorrent for speed/performance?

There is no need to increase half open... http://utorrent.com/guides.php

"Performance"?? What do you mean. Know how bittorrent works, and know how you want to use uT. I for example run 20 peers per torrent PERIOD because I run alot of torrents. I have a default upload slot of 1, and only increase that on new(er) torrents I want to get faster. I routinely re-seed long dead torrents (The earliest torrent I've got is from June 2004) so I have set many things lower than default and turned off many other things. Also following http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 best practices for troubleshooting can be applied to someone in particular situations. For instance people who have a quota should keep DHT globally off, and ONLY turn it on when necessary. While small, that small trickle increases over time to a large amount.

I'm truly not sure what kind of "optimization" you're looking for.

Archived