Want to share....

dayzee

I have just started using UTorrent (scuze if i dont quite explain myself - I am on a crash course!) and have dowloaded a few big files - I want to continue to share (seed?) the completed files but I dont want them stay in the file it was downloaded too - but if i move it (tidy up!) then utorrent doesnt know where it is to carry on sharing..

Also what if i want to use the if the completed downloaded file.. If its 'rared' for example it will need unpacking - - if i do this, common sense says i wont be able to share it, will I..?

I agree with the ethos and want to share but also dont want to copy big files in order to share one and use/move the other..as it will use space i dont have on this putor, which is the only way i can think of doing it

Is there a way i can move the completed file and still share (seed?) I know i can change the file it is downloaded too but I want to continue to keep different types of files in different folders in order to find easy later...

Any help would be gratefully recieved xx

If you move it, right click the torrent in the torrent list, advanced, set download location :D

After that if you start it uT will recheck for you ---> 100% and then you'll be seeding again :)

If you want some more information about uT, check out the User Manual http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent-help.zip and http://utorrent.com/guides.php

Dayzee I was where you were a while back with an elderly computer with a small HDD. I solved the problem by buying a very inexpensive and very large external drive. I think that if you are going to commit to this protocol you need to be able to do so because it means having to save large downloads unchanged for long periods of time. I created several rules for myself - that is to not download .rar or .zip files, since I believe those torrents need to die. Say you only want one track. You download the archive, extract what you want and dump the rest. It is human nature. So just say no to compressed files for this protocol.

Now that I have a new computer with a large hardrive and still have my external, what I do is put the downloads on the external which I can turn off with a switch. My music library (I don't mess around with TV shows and movies, personally) resides on my boot drive. Yes, there are duplicates, but I don't really care. Disc space is very affordable. It is sort of ironic to tell someone to spend money to be able to share free content, but there is a trade-off.

Am with you totally on "tidying up" - cannot stand typos and spelling errors in file names - unfortunately you cannot change files in your archives and expect the tracker to find your pieces, so unless you want to never alter the names etc. you are stuck having to have two copies. Think of each piece as a page from a book that needs to be reassembled - if someone changed the page numbers this would be impossible. You CAN move followng the the instructions - but I still think in the long run you will need to have two copies minimum. And what about backups? My entire library is backed up to DVD week. I compress it and copy it. Never have had to restore anything from it but you never know. DVDs, like external drives are very affordable.

Archived