Any actvity drops to zero after exactly five minutes.

neovo1987

Hi.

I have been using uTorrent 1.6.1 on Windows XP without any major problems for a while. In the past few days, I finally got around to two changes: wireless connection (but with the same router) and port forwarding.

It seemed all amazing and speeds were going so much faster but I soon started having some problems. Basically what happens now is that either the port appears as not forwarded (yellow traingular icon), or if it does, any activity completely drops after exactly five minutes.

I am using Zone Alarm which is set to allow uTorrent and is de-activated anyway, I have VirusScan On-Access Scan that doesn't seem to have given any problems before.

I must say I have had problems with the NetAdapter too as it seems to have its own drivers which over-ride Windows, but I seem to have fixed that now. I re-set the static IP address and the port is forwarded correctly (green icon), but again after exactly five minutes everything goes to zero -but the icon is still green - and there is no way to making it go up again but shutting uTorrent and re-opening it (so farewell downloading overnight).

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Sorry about that. You did say you don't support older versions but I couldn't work out what the current one is.

Do I have to finish my downloads in order to download the new version, or can I updating without losing the data?

Current one's always found on http://utorrent.com/download.php ... that's not exactly difficult to find :P

It is always wise to backup your %APPDATA%\uTorrent folder regularly should you keep alot of stuff you don't want to lose ... I have tips for both that and practices http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=287849#p287849 however you really want to check out http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 if you're sure it's not the settings you have in Ctrl-G.

What are your speedtest results when not down/up-loading anything? Those two things (current settings) and (speedtest results) can be combined to take a good picture of whether it's the settings or your hardware... and following procedures from Ultima's guide will tell you if it's the hardware after lessening them to 1/2 or 1/4 the current ones.

Edit: Not to jump to conclusions, but many people have problems with ZA, part of the practice is to uninstall it totally to see if the problem goes away. Additionally at the bottom of the guide there is procedures for copy-pasting a HiJackThis logfile which may also show other http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software

Ok, so I tried some stuff.

I disabled the DHT and it seemed to go all well. I was only uploading, when I started to download, the same thing happened again.

The speeds are now set to the speed guide 10Mbps settings. My connection is 54Mbps but as I'm sharing it with other people I thought dividing the LAN speed would do. Anyway, the settings before were set to a lot lower then the current settings according to the speed guide. The number of connections was set at 250 instead of 800 like it is now according to the speed guide and correspondingly all the other settings were lower.

Speed tests seem to be about 400 for download, 120 for upload, and I ran them without really closing all applications.

It doesn't seem to cease all activity when it reaches a certain speed. I don't know about the number of connections.

Also, the timing is not exactly five minutes. But it tends to be between 5 and 7.

That is not your connection speed. 54mbps is the connection from your PC to your router. NOT your internet.

Is the 120 you got kbit, or kilobytes? if kbit, you need to choose xx/128k from the speed guide, and if kbyte, you need to choose xx/1mbit.

Your speed is not 54Mbit UPLOAD. Nor is it likely 10 Mbit download.

What does a speedtest say your linespeed is UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD. Those numbers 400 and 120 probably aren't with noone else downloading. The numbers need to be with no activity so you know what's what.

IF they are with noone else on, you are TOO HIGH, in Ctrl-G select XX/128. When the internet stops, does it start up again? If so how long after? If you try turning off and back on the MODEM at your residence (where the ISP enters the building) does the connection come back faster?

I can't make sure the others are not online, but I ran the tests with nothing on my cmputer and down speed varies from 414 to 1200 Kb/s (the latter was the one with the smallest latency to server, 66ms) while up speed is fairly fixed at ca 200-210 Kb/s.

So I suppose I need to choose xx/128Kbps. My network does not allow me to connect from 6 until 11 so I won't be able to carry on testing for a few hours, but thank you so much for your help so far, and sorry for being the classical knows-nothing-still-tries.

:P We all started there at some point, not to worry.

One thing you'll notice when you do get back up, things should run a bit smoother for both you online while torrenting and the others on your line. It's a bit like tuning up your car. The basic 128Kbit settings start out for basic services, and then you can go through settings individually as suggested in Ultima's How-To :) You may want to decrease torrents running or increase peers per torrent.. but what you shouldn't do (without everyone who uses the line knowing and agreeing) is setup your uT to take up the full xx/256 connection. With the scheduler you can even leave uT running in STOPPED mode (Ctrl-P -> Scheduler white boxes) from 6-11 so you don't have to close it. And you leave it running in alternate mode when you have permission from the others so you upload more :)

Archived