BT ristricted my connection.

MontanaFX

I phoned up BT with a totally unrelated problem and 1 of the things they told me to change was a bunch of numbers in a menu somewhere, which I have been trying to find, but havent had any luck.

Its causing the ports to not accept any incoming connections. If I connect a laptop to the same internet connection, it downloads with no problems and temporary fixes my problem on the PC. The ports are fine for 24 hours, then the same problem occurs. I then reconnect the laptop briefly to heal my problem, but 24 hours or so, I then get the port forwarding issue again.

Can anybody suggest where the menu that BT got me to edit the figures on, is?

Thank you.

EDIT: Changing the port only helps if the laptop is plugged in.

They are both wired connections. Technically the PC should react exactly the same as the laptop, but the PC had some numbers changed and stops incoming connections to all p2p clients after a short period with o problems coz connecting the laptop to my broadband seems to temporarily solve my problem.

Well, possible places it changed settings was in network connections. If you go to the network icon in the system tray on both computers you can examine current settings, or go to properties and change them to be the same. My theory is the ISP made 1 computer go through its proxies instead of letting your POP (router) do it... you do have a router right?

Or is your modem listed as a modem+router @ http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

I have looked in every obvious place you would think of, but still no luck. Its well hidden away where ever it is.

I am using a BT homehub router, which isnt the problem. I have set up the correct settings using the guide that you posted a link to. This was done a while back, but hasent effected speeds at all. I am also sure my firewall is allowing it through.

Archived