Major network connection problem!

wilhemina

I would appreciate some help. Been using utorrents for a while now. My downloads start smoothly as long as I'm not at home. When I'm at home, none of my new downloads will start unless I'd already started the downloads elsewhere. As for those started outside my home connection they continue flawlessly when I move my laptop back home but once I initiate or start new downloads at home, all values remain at zero even when it detects high seed:peer ratio i.e. my torrent detects the seed and peers but that's it. Ratio= 0.000, availability=0.000, upload =0, download=0. the seed status says "0 of 0 connected <seednumber> in swarm". Yet outside my home network, it connects to the trackers and downloads the same torrent within seconds (which means it is definitely not a queue problem). What gives?

What ISPs are we talking about?

What's the topology of your home network?

in reply to this, it's a college campus network. So I already know that port forwarding won't get me anywhere. However even within the campus, I do get relatively good speeds; but at home, nothing (xcept of course I started it outside home)

Is this a torrent with a private flag?

No. This occurs for basically all my torrents

How do you ping the tracker? would that be using the command prompt : ping then tracker address? A download right now gives a message on the tracker status: no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. This doesn't stop my present download which is going at about 50kB/s but I don't know if that would signify a clue to the problem?

I doubt a ComCast Business line would block torrent traffic...but then again ComCast is testing questionable bandwidth-saving tactics for their networks. :(

Can you try a proxy to see if you can route through/around your problem?

(You'll almost certainly be firewalled when you do this, but better firewalled than unable to connect at all!)

Archived