Problems with Junction (Symbolic Link) archives

MagusBR

Hi,

I having some problems using Junction files; when I add then they work fine (the program do re-check files and start uploading/downloading). But if I stop and start again, an error like "job files not found" raises and I have to re-add the torrent and re-check all again....

I think is cause of Junction files "haves two" filesize, 0bytes (the link point) and the real file. So, depending on the GetFileSize function, there is two returns.

And for who asking "why junction?" there is the aswer: I love to separate and reorganize my downloaded files, but for that I have to move files to another disk (I usually rename the file names too) and stop seeding... So Junction points is a good solution ;-)

See ya,

Junctions only work on NTFS. I don't think it cares where it is as long as you have the services running (VSC if memory serves) and as long as the VOL_IDs remain valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point ... apparently the 3.1 upgrade to junctions added cross-volume compatibility. So in Vista, you can do whatever you want :P except use it on a 3 year old computer.

Awesome. Mind you, I still think some verification of whether or not there IS a problem with the resolution of junctions would be useful as more people (theoretically) migrate to Vista. I personally plan to jump to Server 7 (ca. 2012 unless it slips again) due to the bitter taste... but I urge those who use Vista to try these things. If there's a problem and uT can work around it.. the developers do their utmost to do so. One of the most recent examples is with the (broken) software raid filesystem filter driver on Windows Home Server. All files are apparently junctions and as such don't work well with the "bypass windows cacheing" options, and as such it was addressed

- Change: diskio.smart_sparse_hash for broken file systems (like Windows Home Server)

... which happens to be a feature FOR sparse files, which don't apply in that specific instance. I'm not sure if it's global... if you could perhaps verify that change also affects junctions it would be useful to know. I've personally never had trouble with junctions on XP.

• 3 months later...

In my situation/scenario I had disks and catalogs d:\Part1 e:\Part2 f:\Part3

made a f:\big.pack catalog, made symbolic links inside, made a torrent. But peers could not connect and download those files.

With new ideas implemented in newer utorrent version, I was running 1.7.7 at that time, updating to >1.8 solved my problems and I started to seed!

thank you very much!

as jewelisheaven said: Thus in 1.8 you can have a VERY_LARGE_TORRENT on several disks if say you have not enough space on one of them.

Archived