Can I use a wireless card for tracker info and an Ethernet connection

woobs420

Hello I am a bit new to this but was hoping there was a way I could use my wireless broadband card to proxie the tracker communications and then use the ethernet plugged in to the college lan which is firewalled. I guess im trying to use the card as a listening port as it is unblocked and the lan for the high speed peer to peer data?? Thanks.

Bittorrent only counts you as one peer per IP, so both of those IPs would be separate according to the swarm. If you have a cellular card which allows tracker communication but blocks ports, and a campus connection which has blocked ports ... there's little difference there except potential speed. Are you sure your campus blocks tracker communication?

uT has an option of using a proxy... I'm guessing you could setup something on localhost to proxy tracker communications in uT on your campus connection, but that's pretty specialized setup. You'll need to find a guide which mentions proxy configuration you may need to bridge the wifi card on localhost and set it as the destination on your proxy settings for the campus connection.

I have taken a better look and it seems I can connect to the trackers ok but the I get very few connections and most torrents dont even start and it shows the red light saying I cant get incoming connections. Yes I am a bit confused on how this all works I am just trying to find a way around them blocking incoming connections without using tor which is horribly slow by the way when I do a speed test we get 33d 10up I would sure like to be able to get some of that bandwith

If the campus does not totally block tracker and peer communications I would use that. It requires you be able to make incoming connections to others, but it's definitely less work than setting up tor.. notwithstanding the network implicatios of using tor for something as innocuous as filesharing. Tor is not meant for the load filesharing causes, and the theory behind it is for the limitations on freedom some countries enforce which tor allows free access to information, otherwise with harsh consequences.

It's not uncommon to be firewalled on-campus. And you actually wouldn't be any better off a cellular network. Most put you behind large public NAT (your IP is not WAN, but another 10.x.x.x 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x IP altogether). So....if you want to learn more check out http://btfaq.com/#what and the uT Manual http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent-help.zip

If you've got other questions feel free to ask them here. But please first check http://utorrent.com/faq.php

Hmm I also use our public library quite often as they have high speeds as well but what about the option of using my web hosting account to set up some type of transfer point? Would that even work? Can a proxy server be set up in that way I have hosting with go daddy

Archived