Not Connectable - SIEMENS Gigaset SE567

Bob'sYourUncle

The colored dot at the bottom is red with a white ! in it, and says the following:

Not Connectable

A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect with you.

I looked through the instructions to forward a port as this might be a NAT problem, but the red circle is still there after following the instructions. If I close down utorrent and restart it the red circle becomes a yellow triangle (yield sign) and shortly thereafter becomes a red circle again. Only a few times have I ever seen it green.

I am using a SIEMENS Gigaset SE567 and the ISP provider is Telus Canada. I'm not sure if my bandwidth is being throttled, but I do know that I have a lot of bandwidth available comparative to the amount I am using.

Within my Windows Firewall is there a specific port that can be added in the utorrent exceptions? Maybe this might help. I just don't know what port number(s) to put into the "Add Port" section.

What is your setup? I.e. ISP -> siemens modem -> ?? router -> computer

If you have seen it green you may not have a problem. Have you tried http://slackware.com/torrents/ ? Do they download as fast as you're expecting for your connection? What is your speedtest up and down-load values?

Is Windows Firewall your only firewall software security you're running?

Thanks for your immediate reply.

I will try to fill in the blanks as best I know how.

ISP = Telus

Modem = Siemens

Router = ?

I started to download the suggested slackware and it arrived at a speed between 300-315 kb/s. That is the fastest I have ever seen anything download using utorrent.

I did a speed test and here are the results:

download: 2131 kb/s

upload: 395 kb/s

Q.) How come the download and upload speeds are considerably more than what I get when using utorrent? Is it because the ISP is sharing the bandwidth with other customers and what I see on a speed test is the maximum download and upload speed of myself and other customers as a total?

I find it odd that a torrent with for example: 50 (3,000) seeders and 20 (4,000) peers will only download at a speed of 2-5 kb/s. I would have assumed the more seeders the faster the download. In this case I would normally limit my upload to match the download speed because if I don't do this, the upload speed would max out at approx 60-70 kb/s while the download speed would remain at a low 2-5 kb/s. I don't want to have to limit my upload speed but if I don't my bandwidth will be eaten up quickly and it will take forever to get my download.

I suppose my connection is working, even though the icon at the bottom is usually yellow or red. It still baffles me how there can be so many seeders with such a low download speed.

Archived