Updating Tracker

rudolfo2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Firon, when you say stop the client, does this mean that when I exit, all my current uploads stats are reported to the tracker and I don't lose any uploaded amount?

It just seems to exit so fast if it does have time to report for every torrent.

Thanks.

The reason it looks so fast is because the µT GUI disappears while it's doing this, IIRC. That is, you won't be able to see µTorrent running, but if you have a look at the process list or some network monitor you'll still see activity from utorrent.exe (or whatever you've called it).

...now I'm a bit confused; please clearify:

- The only time the stats are updated is when the client is closed?

- If I do close the client in order to update my tracker stats, do the torrents being uploaded/downloaded have to be present in the main interface window, and not removed before closing the client?

- What exactly does the feature do when I right-click and select "update tracker" do?

...over at Demonoid they have thier admitted tracker problems, and prescribe pausing/stopping torrents to update their tracker...it seems, according to thier forum, that the clients that have the most success in updating thier tracker is Azureus, ABC, and BitTorrent. I love the performance I get with µTorrent, and I don't plan on switching over to the other clients mentioned above because the advantages µTorrent has over them, but the ratio postings at the Demonoid forum exceed any other topic over there, and I'm not getting much success updating my stats to thier tracker; sometimes it works, most times it don't....

- The only time the stats are updated is when the client is closed?

Actually, stats are supposed to be updated every announce interval. When you close µTorrent or stop a torrent in it, an update is forced.

What about when a torrent is stopped automatically due to reaching an upload limitation ?

Is it possible that there is a loophole and the torrent stats are then not updated ?

Actually, stats are supposed to be updated every announce interval.

Keyword: "supposed." It's certainly the right way to go, but not all trackers do it. Some update them only on a STOP, so if you fall off-line or you use a client that doesn't send a proper STOP (TorrentStorm and NovaTorrent are notorious for that, I hear; it's not a problem with µTorrent), your stats are not accrued at all.

EDIT: That is, of course the client always updates them, but the tracker may or may not care to record the updated figures at every periodic announcement, only upon a STOP.

I always thought when it updates, it sends what peers you have (and stats etc) and then sends you the torrent file back to you with all the updated peers with their ips:ports.

If it doesn't do that, how do we get all the peers in the first place then?

Tracker update has nothing to do with the peers. It will just report ur data downloaded or uploaded earlier than the scheduled time.

Update ur tracker b4 u stop ur client. Other than that, it shd auto update after a period of time.

NO!You're wrong.It helps on one tracker and make it worse or nothing on other.Manual update realy helps but only to a certain point;more peers -less effect.In some cases the uTorrent will set tracker update in >40 minutes which means you'll loose peers in that time,which means your speed will decrease ( not always ).On private tracker with high dl speed you don't need to do anything.Sorry but that's my experience.

Peer to Peer connections within a torrent swarm have nothing to do with the tracker announce (update) interval.

If the connections are closing, they are closing because of CLIENT settings, NOT tracker.

In some cases the uTorrent will set tracker update in >40 minutes which means you'll loose peers in that time,which means your speed will decrease ( not always )

µTorrent only sets the tracker update that high when THE TRACKER TELLS IT TO.

• 5 years later...

Ok everyone seems to think they know everything. Let's say a show is released at 11pm, on a private torrent site, say, some internet show for the sake of the argument.

at 11:05pm it goes from 1 seeder (A seedbox) to 1 seeder and 300 peers. Someone tell me why I have to wait 25 more minutes, unless I stop and start the torrent again or close utorrent and re-open it, to get the best speeds.

For private sites that DO NOT use PEX or DHT etc. the only thing linking you to someone else is the tracker, and it NEEDS to be more efficient updating, or at least have settings that allow you to update it more often than 30 min automatically. I don't want to sit and constantly stop and start my download for the first 30 min a torrent is out so i can get the max ammount of peers and seeds to connect to and download the file I have been waiting a week to come out.

Just FYI. There are reasons why tracker update intervals should be able to be manipulated in advanced settings.

And if there is a way. Please, do tell.

Ok everyone seems to think they know everything.

You included.

You completely forget the fact that if you're reachable you don't need to worry about tracker update intervals because OTHER PEERS ATTEMPT TO CONNECT TO YOU BETWEEN YOUR OWN TRACKER UPDATES.

There is no need for manual updates more often than the tracker defines.

STOP BEING SUCH AN IMPATIENT IDIOT AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

Ok everyone seems to think they know everything.

You included.

You completely forget the fact that if you're reachable you don't need to worry about tracker update intervals because OTHER PEERS ATTEMPT TO CONNECT TO YOU BETWEEN YOUR OWN TRACKER UPDATES.

There is no need for manual updates more often than the tracker defines.

STOP BEING SUCH AN IMPATIENT IDIOT AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

First of all. That was kind of vulgar calling me an idiot. Secondly, are you asserting that all other peers that join the tracker will even need to connect to me, seeing as the seedbox gives something like 10-50MBPS spread over al the peers? I'm approaching this situation from a problem solvers point of view, not from arrogance and dissent--which would be how I describe your former post.

Archived