Torrent downloads bring all internet traffic to a crawl

mspicer

Hello,

I am using Bittorrent 6.0.3. When I attempt to download torrents, all internet traffic slows drastically, even on other computers, so I assume the torrent downloads are slowing my router. I have a Netopia 3347nwg-006, provided by Bellsouth. The more torrents I download, the slower my network becomes. I have tried the following:

Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu -Not sure where to find this!

Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent) - Done

Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection) - Done

Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced) - Done

Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent) Lowered to 50

Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced) - Done

Try patching TCPIP.sys (Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, or newer)? Windows Vista users can try this out, but no guarantees are made. Users not on Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, Windows Vista, or newer can skip this step. - Didn't try this , too many steps!

Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router - Not sure what this is, but I can connect to my router.

Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above - Done

I have max upload rate set to 45 (85% of max) and max download rate 706 (95% of max)

Thanks in advance for any help!

in the Peers tab's context menu

Press F5 in µTorrent a few times, and you'll see the Peers tab. The context menu is the menu you get when you right-click the list of peers. Make sure you have a torrent selected.

Is the Netopia also the router?

Try patching TCPIP.sys (Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, or newer)? Windows Vista users can try this out, but no guarantees are made. Users not on Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, Windows Vista, or newer can skip this step. - Didn't try this , too many steps!

Thats the step that did it for me! I had the same problem. I am even thinking about patching it up to 100, if thats not a bad idea.

Even after patching TCPIP.sys, uTorrent should NEVER be set to over 80% of Window's max half open limit!

It's highly debatable and probably unlikely that you'll receive ANY speed benefits setting uTorrent's max half open higher than 20...unless you're firewalled and trying to seed torrent on private trackers torrents with 1000+ users that have 100 seeds per every 1 peer -- and that's likely to only help your upload speed for those particular torrents. :D

A high half open rate may let you connect a little faster at first, but once you've gotten over 50 connections...the advantage is mostly lost and may even become a slowdown due to bandwidth NEEDED to continue testing new connections at your half open rate ...especially if/when you're already connected to 100's of peers and seeds.

Archived