very slow download speed/port wont open.

Vrex

ive made a static ip, used pfconfig to open the port i have specified for utorrent, and the router takes it. however when i run the test in utorrent to see if the port is forwarded properly, the ip it uses is different than the one in my tcp/ip settings.

i tried setting the 'ip to use for tracker' in the bittorrent settings, but that did nothing.

i have verizon fios...15down/2up, and am only downloading around 50-100kb/s with upload speeds of around 200kb/s.

now im at the point of asking others, i am stuck!

thanks for any help!

If the "other" address is one you get with say http://canyouseeme.org and doesn't match the EXTERNAL IP you've got, you're behind a proxy.

If your external IP (according to your farthest device... i.e. computer -> router -> modem ) is 10.x.x.x 172.16.x.x 192.168.x.x you're still behind a large NAT. If not, you can try the Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> IP/Hostname to report to tracker so others get that IP... but it's not guaranteed to work. And even then if you're not able to receive incoming connections it won't help much. Have you tested the connectability with say OpenOffice or Slackware?

guess i'm behind a proxy...the addy is the one on the site and not the external, and it is one of those 3 IPs. does this mean i cannot do port forwarding?

no i have not tried openoffice or slackware, what would these help me with?

rafi-i have it on 0.

jewel-its 192.168.x.x, and i have not tried using those 2 methods, for i do not know how. i'm very new to this if its not obvious, heh.

rafi- so ur saying set upload limit to less than half of my given upload limit?

edit- my router has a port forwarding page, i can't get it to work for me either tho.

heres a pic of the router's port forwarding page: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/lt1BEAST/verizonpage.jpg?t=1210507929

think this could help me also?

Since the test torrent downloads OK, it certainly sounds like just a slowness with that torrent. When you have it running are you uploading at or near your set limit? Set Speed tab to Upload only, 5 or 30 second interval to check for a relatively horizontal line.

If your checking of the comp ONLY connected to the modem still shows the WAN IP as a private IP, there's nothing else you can do once you tried UPnP/NAT-PMP so you'll have to rely on others making their ports open to you.

well, there is a speedguide (control-G) why don't you use it ? you have an *insane* UL limit. 80% max is what's recommended. IF you do have 2Mbps UL ~(=250KBps) - try 180 instead of 1000.

Regarding the new overhead control - it is only relevant in the new beta, not in your version. You can try to upgrade if you like and use it ...

Well I would concur to indeed lower the limit to something akin to 90% of your max upload speed, it appears your uT maxes at a sustained 220-230, which may simply be choking your download. While uploading at that speed does http://slackware.com/torrents/ download at all? As you lower the speed by 5 KiBps at a time, does slackware pick up? You really should only be putting out ~200 if you've got 2Mbit upload to allow other programs to work without being bottlenecked by your upload cap.

Again rafi, the new overhead option is irrelevant if the upload isn't correctly configured in the first place. While I'm sure it's useful to people who routinely exceed their set upload (I'm hoping you use it since you championed it) it's not something most people would notice as long as they set their upload manually to 80% by default or follow the Speed Guide settings.

Archived