wondering about requests on network shares

scientus

This isnt perhaps neccilarily a bug per se but i think it is an error in the way utorrent addresses network shares.

I believe when utorrent comes online or asks for network shares it makes a request for each of the torrents that reside there when initilizing there----whenever utorrent does this my computer laggs up so bag its easier to just hard-reboot it. If the share has allready been initialized via network places or even an INDIvidual utorrent initilization then it works fine but when it is making the first grab everything just stops---- i guess it needs some sort of smart thinking regarding network shares-- i can do it manually (turn comp/utorrent, then network share, then) by initiallyzing 1 torrent, then waiting 5-15 sec for it to figure that out and then another and then them all, allways waiting for it to start checking them. guess it needs to do plobes or something---i really dont know

also on checksums-- would there be a way for the external comp to calculate this--it really drags down the network everytime you start up and have to check them all(makes it slllllllllllllooooooowwwww over wifi)--i know this is far fetched.----OR have an othion to skip check, only do at end or something---when network bandwidth is more limited(i know its made to minimize curropted internet data sent as thats the most valuable bandwidth, but with wifi speed to check it the low possibility of curroption is not worth long strain on the network and the wait-- the downloader will not end up with a curropted file as it checks the haashes--or hashes could be checked when sending a particulat piece, etc.

it really drags down the network everytime you start up and have to check them all

You only have to check them all if you don't give uT a chance to shut down properly.

If you're downloading 100% of your files to a networked machine, do your torrenting directly on that machine.

Your issues are more consistent with a bunch of bad habits being piled on all at once than they are with bugs.

µTorrent has bugs too. Its not necessarily bad habits - stuff happens sometimes and its not within our control.

Network shares even Gigabit can't match the throughput of a local disk. Processes that are disk intensive will obviously take longer on a network share. It only gets worse if the amount of data or files you have to check is extremely large. Wireless to network share is even worse due to the latency.

> do your torrenting directly on that machine.

DWK, are you saying save your incomplete torrent content to the local drive then move completed to the network drive?

Archived