DSL modem firewalls???

jayt717

I recently arrived at Osan AB, South Korea and was relieved to finally be able to download again. Here's my problem:

The ISP is LG Dacom and any information on the net is in Korean. I don't really have a problem downloading torrents, although it is slower than usual. The problem is that nobody can connect to me. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, and I've disabled every firewall I could think of. I even created exceptions in Windows Firewall and I'm not even using a router. Why I thought that might work, I don't know. Anyway, I'm not familiar with Vista too well, but I figured it was time for an upgrade. I still don't think it's software. I'm actually wired through a Dacom DSL modem and some other device for voip service with LG Dacom as well. Is it possible there's a firewall in the DSL modem? I know I should be using a router, but mine hasn't arrived yet, and I'll still probably have the connectivity problem after opening ports on my router. Anybody been through this or have any suggestions? I belong to some good torrent sites and would hate to be kicked off for not keeping a good ratio. Thanks......JT

Can you define your network topology (way stuff is connected on your network)? Also, Start > Run > CMD /k IPCONFIG /ALL and look for your connection in that mess of stuff. Find the default gateway address, and enter it as an address in your browser if it starts with either 192, 172, or 10. Example, my gateway is 192.168.1.1, the address http://192.168.1.1 lets me connect to my router. Once in your modem (if it works), see if you can portforward. Also see if you can change the connection type and/or use bridge mode (but don't activate yet). Also, look for a status screen in the modem. What's the numbers in the first two fields?

Since you are going to get a router, assuming it's a good router, you should set the modem to bridge mode, and connect everything through the soon to be router. Before that though, please answer my questions first, as they are important for 'net connectivity.

Archived