Re-Opening Torrent to Seed-100% Previously D/L file became only 90+ %

dlhappy2

I just joined this forum today and decided to post a strange problem that occurred a while ago.

I know that if the file(s) in a torrent are moved to another directory/folder, and the torrent is re-loaded, utorrent will look in the designated default download directory for the existence of the file and if it is not there, it will download the file from a 0% status.

What happened in my case, though, is a different situation. I believe on three different occasions, I re-opened a torrent that had been deleted from the utorrent listing. In each case, I had the complete file or all of files for that torrent, and with the proper extensions, ie: avi, mpg, etc, and in the proper directory/folder. When I re-opened/loaded the torrent so as to seed the file(s), utorrent checked to see if the file existed and the % indicator in the "done" column did not go to 100%, as is usually the case, but instead stopped at 90 something % and when I immediately checked the actual directory, I saw that the file's extension had been modified so as to go back to the uncompleted !ut state (example... it went from movie.avi back to movie.avi.!ut). Luckily, there were still other peers/seeders and I was able to again get the complete file. Then I became a seeder, as I had originally intended. BTW, the files involved were all large files, so, it is not as though utorrent was actually showing the file going from -0- to 90+ percent because it was showing it as it was being downloaded. It was showing that I only had 90+ percent of the file and then the downloading started, and took a while until I got the remainder of the file.

Does anyone know why this happened, that is, why I lost part of a complete file when all I did was try to seed what had been a complete file, and how to prevent it from happening again?

Now, if I want to re-load a torrent to seed a file, I first make a backup copy of that file before re-loading the torrent. (Yes, I know, all of my files should be backed up, but, I am very low on hard drive space -- both internal and external drives. -- I hope to get new external drives in the future).

Thanks for any info.

It's possible there was nothing wrong with the file... where was it stored? Some instances of this happening occur with http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software or RAM / other hardware troubles.

Where were the missing pieces from? The beginning/end of the file? That can usually be attributed to a media player/ library/ manager messing with tagging information.

Thanks for your reply, jewelisheaven.

The file was stored on my C: drive in a subdirectory/subfolder -- short folder/filenames so that should not be a problem.....as is the case, in general (not necessarily with bit torrent u/l d/l) if the combo subfolders/filename is too long. I don't remember the actual name but as I said previously, the file was in the correct folder specified in the open torrent pop-up box.

As for the incompatible software (NVIDIA in the linked faq)...I don't use a software firewall but instead use a hardware firewall...Verizon's supplied router/firewall for my FIOS internet service. Also, I just looked and I presently have 8 torrents actively u/l and d/l right now and the memory usage for uTorrent.exe is in the range of approx. 19,320K. My computer has 2 GB memory, so that does not seem to be a problem.

Also, as I said, the problem only happened three times, and that was a while ago.

I think when I lost part of the previously complete file, the part lost was from the end of the movie, but I'm not really sure -- it was not recently, and I didn't really pay too much attention. (I merely copied the re-created !ut file and deleted the .!ut from the copy and played it -- I generally use Media Player Classic but sometimes use other players.

Btw, I'm not sure, but I think that I had changed the attribute of the complete file to read-only and nevertheless it was overwritten so that it was no longer a complete file when I re-opened the torrent so as to seed the file.

Thanks, again.

If you look the Files tab for that torrent, where the missing pieces are will usually tell you what the problem is. If the missing pieces are in the middle of the file, your file and their file does not match up. If the missing pieces are at the start or end of the file, that usually means you're seeding a slightly different torrent and the hash pieces don't match up exactly at the start & end of files.

I downloaded HiJack This and Systeminternals' Process Explorer.

Please note that I have installed and updated a lot of software after the problem...so, any you might notice lots of stuff that I did not have at the time. BTW...on 04/17/2008 I was d/l some freeware that led me to a sight that did a scan and suggested I update Winamp, Quicktime, RealPlayer, I think Shockwave to later versions to eliminate security holes in the earlier versions. I did so...but that site supposedly also said it was creating a system restore point...it did not...instead, all of my system restore points before 04/17/2008 were deleted and now, even my own newly created restore points are not retained...only retained are system check restore points .. one or two only... I checked my system restore points settings and I still have the max. 12% disk space setting for system restore...so, I don't know the problem (I'm low on hd space, but not too low, I don't think).

Anyway...here are the logs:

1. HIJACK THIS LOG:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 4:41:05 PM, on 05/11/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltpspd.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\HP DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Verizon\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1170987345\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\m3SrchMn.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe

C:\Program Files\XDesk95\XDesk95.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFXSVC.EXE

C:\Program Files\Symantec\WinFax\WFXMOD32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe

C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

c:\program files\common files\aol\1170987345\ee\services\antiSpywareApp\ver2_0_32_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadLite\EditPadLite.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\HardDisk Indicator Light\hdi.exe

C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe

C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe

C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_lite\xplorer2_lite.exe

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

D:\AB\DL\temp\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=PAVILION&pf=desktop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - (no file)

R3 - URLSearchHook: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFre1.dll

O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

O2 - BHO: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFre1.dll

O2 - BHO: Classical Music Radio Toolbar - {2c9881ab-280a-43df-8e13-8655994b16e9} - C:\Program Files\Classical_Music_Radio\tbClas.dll

O2 - BHO: flashget urlcatch - {2F364306-AA45-47B5-9F9D-39A8B94E7EF7} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jccatch.dll

O2 - BHO: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O2 - BHO: hpWebHelper Class - {AAAE832A-5FFF-4661-9C8F-369692D1DCB9} - C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\plugin\WebHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll

O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll

O2 - BHO: FlashGet GetFlash Class - {F156768E-81EF-470C-9057-481BA8380DBA} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\getflash.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: My Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

O3 - Toolbar: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFre1.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Classical Music Radio Toolbar - {2c9881ab-280a-43df-8e13-8655994b16e9} - C:\Program Files\Classical_Music_Radio\tbClas.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ftutil2] "rundll32.exe" ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMAScheduler] "c:\Program Files\HP DigitalMedia Archive\DMAScheduler.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\Verizon\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1170987345\ee\AOLSoftware.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [spywareBot] C:\Program Files\SpywareBot\SpywareBot.exe -boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NeroCheck.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe" /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar Search Scope Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\m3SrchMn.exe" /m=2 /w

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Resume copy] copyfstq.exe /startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [spySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TClockEx] "C:\Program Files\TClockEx\TCLOCKEX.EXE"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [bgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')

O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: PinMcLnk.lnk = C:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE

O4 - Global Startup: Hard Disk Indicator Light.lnk = C:\Program Files\HardDisk Indicator Light\hdi.exe

O4 - Global Startup: XDesk95.lnk = C:\Program Files\XDesk95\XDesk95.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download All with FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZKxdm021YYUS

O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll

O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe

O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://forum.anothersite.co.uk

O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - https://activatemyfios.verizon.net/sdcCommon/download/FIOS/tgctlcm.cab

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/WebfettiInitialSetup1.0.0.15-3.cab

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll

O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader.cab

O16 - DPF: {55027008-315F-4F45-BBC3-8BE119764741} (Slide Image Uploader Control) - http://static.slide.com/uploader/SlideImageUploader.cab

O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader3.cab

O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL

O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume technology (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe

O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.6.711.24354 (GoogleDesktopManager-112407-114954) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe

O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe

O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

O23 - Service: WinFax PRO (wfxsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFXSVC.EXE

--

End of file - 19931 bytes

2. PROCESS EXPLORER LOG FOR UTORRENT:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 49.23

explorer.exe 2008 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

rundll32.exe 672 Run a DLL as an App Microsoft Corporation

kbd.exe 3040 KBD EXE Hewlett-Packard Company

hpsysdrv.exe 3268 hpsysdrv Hewlett-Packard Company

uTorrent.exe 1472

EditPadLite.exe 2748 EditPad Lite Just Great Software

iexplore.exe 6128 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

waol.exe 4676 America Online America Online, Inc.

shellmon.exe 5588 setupdb America Online, Inc.

Process: uTorrent.exe Pid: 1472

Name Description Company Name Version

ACTIVEDS.dll ADs Router Layer DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

adsldpc.dll ADs LDAP Provider C DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ADVAPI32.dll Advanced Windows 32 Base API Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

apphelp.dll Application Compatibility Client Library Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ATL.DLL ATL Module for Windows XP (Unicode) Microsoft Corporation 3.05.2284.0000

ATL80.DLL ATL Module for Windows (Unicode) Microsoft Corporation 8.00.50727.0762

browseui.dll Shell Browser UI Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.3199

c_936.nls

CFGMGR32.dll Configuration Manager Forwarder DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

CLBCATQ.DLL Microsoft Corporation 2001.12.4414.0308

COMCTL32.dll User Experience Controls Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.2982

comdlg32.dll Common Dialogs DLL Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.2180

COMRes.dll Microsoft Corporation 2001.12.4414.0258

CRYPT32.dll Crypto API32 Microsoft Corporation 5.131.2600.2180

CRYPTUI.dll Microsoft Trust UI Provider Microsoft Corporation 5.131.2600.2180

CSCDLL.dll Offline Network Agent Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

cscui.dll Client Side Caching UI Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ctype.nls

davclnt.dll Web DAV Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

DNSAPI.dll DNS Client API DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3316

drprov.dll Microsoft Terminal Server Network Provider Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

GDI32.dll GDI Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3316

GrooveNew.DLL GrooveNew Module Microsoft Corporation 12.00.6211.1000

GrooveShellExtensions.dll GrooveShellExtensions Module Microsoft Corporation 12.00.6211.1000

GrooveSystemServices.dll GrooveSystemServices Module Microsoft Corporation 12.00.6211.1000

GrooveUtil.DLL GrooveUtil Module Microsoft Corporation 12.00.6211.1000

hnetcfg.dll Home Networking Configuration Manager Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ieframe.dll Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 7.00.6000.16640

ieframe.dll.mui Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 7.00.6000.16414

iertutil.dll Run time utility for Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 7.00.6000.16640

IMAGEHLP.dll Windows NT Image Helper Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

IMM32.DLL Windows XP IMM32 API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

index.dat

index.dat

index.dat

Iphlpapi.dll IP Helper API Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2912

kernel32.dll Windows NT BASE API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3119

LINKINFO.dll Windows Volume Tracking Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2751

locale.nls

LPK.DLL Language Pack Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

mdnsNSP.dll Bonjour Namespace Provider Apple Inc. 1.00.0004.0012

MPR.dll Multiple Provider Router DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

MPRAPI.dll Windows NT MP Router Administration DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

MSASN1.dll ASN.1 Runtime APIs Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

msctfime.ime Microsoft Text Frame Work Service IME Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

MSGINA.dll Windows NT Logon GINA DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

MSImg32.dll GDIEXT Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

msv1_0.dll Microsoft Authentication Package v1.0 Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

MSVCR80.dll Microsoft® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation 8.00.50727.1433

msvcrt.dll Windows NT CRT DLL Microsoft Corporation 7.00.2600.2180

mswsock.dll Microsoft Windows Sockets 2.0 Service Provider Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

msxml3.dll MSXML 3.0 SP9 Microsoft Corporation 8.90.1101.0000

msxml3r.dll XML Resources Microsoft Corporation 8.20.8730.0001

mwsoestb.dll My Web Search Plugin Loader MyWebSearch.com 1.02.0003.0002

NETAPI32.dll Net Win32 API DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2976

NETRAP.dll Net Remote Admin Protocol DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

NETUI0.dll NT LM UI Common Code - GUI Classes Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

NETUI1.dll NT LM UI Common Code - Networking classes Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

Normaliz.dll Unicode Normalization DLL Microsoft Corporation 6.00.5441.0000

ntdll.dll NT Layer DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ntlanman.dll Microsoft® Lan Manager Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

NTMARTA.DLL Windows NT MARTA provider Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

ntshrui.dll Shell extensions for sharing Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

nview.dll NVIDIA nView Desktop and Window Manager 110.60 NVIDIA Corporation 6.14.0010.11060

nvwddi.dll NVIDIA nView Display Driver Interface Lib, Version 93.71 NVIDIA Corporation 6.14.0010.9371

ODBC32.dll Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Driver Manager Microsoft Corporation 3.525.1117.0000

odbcint.dll Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Resources Microsoft Corporation 3.525.1117.0000

ole32.dll Microsoft OLE for Windows Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2726

oleaut32.dll Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3266

PortableDeviceApi.dll Windows Portable Device API Components Microsoft Corporation 5.02.5721.5145

PSAPI.DLL Process Status Helper Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

rasadhlp.dll Remote Access AutoDial Helper Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2938

RASAPI32.dll Remote Access API Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

rasman.dll Remote Access Connection Manager Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

RPCRT4.dll Remote Procedure Call Runtime Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3173

rsaenh.dll Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2161

rtutils.dll Routing Utilities Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

SAMLIB.dll SAM Library DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

SBHook.dll SmartBridge Hook Motive Communications, Inc. 5.08.0023.6786

Secur32.dll Security Support Provider Interface Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

sensapi.dll SENS Connectivity API DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

SETUPAPI.dll Windows Setup API Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

shdocvw.dll Shell Doc Object and Control Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.3199

SHELL32.dll Windows Shell Common Dll Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.3241

SHLWAPI.dll Shell Light-weight Utility Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.3199

sortkey.nls

sorttbls.nls

sti.dll Still Image Devices client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

swpg.dat Spyware Doctor PC Tools 3.06.0000.2080

TAPI32.dll Microsoft® Windows Telephony API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

unicode.nls

urlmon.dll OLE32 Extensions for Win32 Microsoft Corporation 7.00.6000.16640

USER32.dll Windows XP USER API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.3099

USERENV.dll Userenv Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

USP10.dll Uniscribe Unicode script processor Microsoft Corporation 1.420.2600.2180

uTorrent.exe

uxtheme.dll Microsoft UxTheme Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2900.2180

VERSION.dll Version Checking and File Installation Libraries Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

WfxSeh32.Dll Shell extension for ACT phonebook integration DLL Symantec Corporation 9.00.0098.0727

WININET.dll Internet Extensions for Win32 Microsoft Corporation 7.00.6000.16640

WINMM.dll MCI API DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

winrnr.dll LDAP RnR Provider DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

WINSTA.dll Winstation Library Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

WINTRUST.dll Microsoft Trust Verification APIs Microsoft Corporation 5.131.2600.2180

WLDAP32.dll Win32 LDAP API DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

WS2_32.dll Windows Socket 2.0 32-Bit DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

WS2HELP.dll Windows Socket 2.0 Helper for Windows NT Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

wshtcpip.dll Windows Sockets Helper DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

xpsp2res.dll Service Pack 2 Messages Microsoft Corporation 5.01.2600.2180

PC Tools and Webroot may be at fault. I don't see any injected DLLs other than those that should cause problems.

So start there... otherwise, you may need to uninstall O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ftutil2] "rundll32.exe" ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode

Also I hope you're aware My WebSearch is commonly classified as ad-ware. It also appears to have added several toolbars to your IE... and added A LOT OF browser BHOs

Hi jewelisheaven

Thanks for the input...I don't want to get too much off topic (not utorrent related), but I actually added most of the toolbars and browers helpers...much more so to Firefox than IE (Freecorder (captures audio from my integrated sound card --other stand-alone programs don't recognize the card), Classical Music Radio (streaming from the internet)- Firefox helpers: active tab in red, a separate download status and history bar (in addition to the pop-up window), two separate streaming video capture helpers, etc.). Btw, if you are interested in any of these, let me know and I'll try and look up the website(s), if possible, and give the link(s) to you. I almost never use IE except as a fallback if there is a problem loading Firefox. However, my wife and daughter use AOL which uses it's own form of IE, although that does not have the various toolbars and browers helpers. (My wife and daughter are supposed to share a notebook computer (Vista -- the desktop is XP Windows Media Center 2005 -- actually XP Pro) that I bought for them....but my sometimes daughter uses my desktop because she can't do certain things with her itunes/itunes store on the notebook --- and my wife finds the desktop more comfortable (I wanted to buy them another desktop..not a notebook, since it is almost never taken from the house..but they wanted a notebook!!).

Yes, I heard that about MyWebSearch...that toolbar I did not add. It did so itself...maybe as part of some software install process. It's in the IE that I don't use so it doesn't bother me (although perhaps the IE process runs in the background anyway even if the IE browser is not opened and maybe MyWebSearch is somehow active).

Anyway, thanks again.

;) heh, makes sense. I'm amazed computers work with all that installed sometimes :P

Did you get a chance to try running without those two programs installed? Spyware Doctor has some reports of previously being the culprit in cases like this, but there's no sure way to check unless you try uninstalling it. If you've got updates feel free to post them below.

Hi jewelisheaven --

I uninstalled both MyWebSearch and PCTool's Spyware Doctor. I didn't even realize that I still had Spyware Doctor on my computer. :lol: Webroot, btw, is Spysweeper, which I actively use and like.

I read that System Restore automatically deletes old restore points to free up space when the drive is too full. That could have been the problem that I encountered. I often go from having sufficient room to being almost full when doing video converting, etc. Then I might burn the video(s) to DVD + R DL and, voila, space is freed up!! :)

I have not experienced the uTorrent problem that led me to start this thread for a while now, and besides, I'll try to remember to make an additional copy of any file(s) that that I want to re-seed. So, I guess that everything is really ok.

BTW, I have a question: In uTorrent, the IP address of each active/on-line seeder/peer is shown. Is there anyway of easily contacting any them since only their IP addressess and not their email addresses are shown. It seems that only the original seeder can be contacted, but only by a thread post or PM on the torrent's website.

Sorry, but no :( The developers don't plan to make uT any more than a bittorrent client. While I agree with this decision and share the philosophy it does indeed become some of a problem if you want to "talk" to someone on that awesomely rare torrent you run. My best advice is to post a comment as you mention on the site you got the torrent from... and yep even messaging the uploader sometimes gets results. Also remember if it's one of those "super rare" things you like to keep alive you don't have to keep it seeded all the time. You can stop it and start it back up whenever you want / have free bandwidth. I keep most of those types of torrents in PAUSE mode in my client 1) because I always have a uT up 2) because I rarely turn off this computer and 3) because it allows me to see directly when there are peers on the swarm. While the popular open trackers show peers not always are they real/up-to-date. If peers connect to me I can assume they're real and want my data... so I rotate 2 or 3 of them a day. I've even popped onto a torrent before where there were no seeds for MONTHS and people were sitting @ 98% and promptly after seeding all of them there was 1 or more comments at the site saying "thank you" :D

I'm glad you don't have this regularly... just remember this troubleshooting if it does come back. But hopefully it won't come back right ;)

Archived