Moving Active Torrents

myowneq(2)

Greetings,

I am in need to move an actively downloading torrent and files to another local drive. I didn't see anything in the search that was quite like my issue. Hopefully you can help.

It's a big file, so I don't want to lose what I got so far. I need to move it from the C drive to my E drive due to space issues. I'm using uTorrent 1.7.7 on Windows Vista.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,

Timothy

You can make room on your C drive by erasing other files, or moving them to the E drive. Or you can stop your torrent, move your files, Set Download Location in µTorrent, then start your torrent again. I would recommend investing in a 750GB or 1 Terabyte hard drive. They are attractively priced these days.

I've cleared C drive as much as I could. I've got 50 gb of space alloted to the drive, and 30 of it is taken by Torrents. A bit of carelessness is a bi***. And I download a lot on my laptop, so that large of a drive is a uneconomical.

However, in moving as you described, that won't mess the Torrent up, will it? Due to my location and transmission medium, it's taken a while to download what I have. I'd hate to lose it.

It won't be a problem - I do it all the time. Here is how "Set Download Location" works. You right click on the torrent and it is under "Advanced":

Set Download Location... lets you set the location of the contents for the particular torrent if they are ever moved after the torrent job is added. The next time the torrent job is started, it will be hash checked to verify the data integrity.

You will lose in-progress data however. This is all the stuff you see in Pieces tab. If there's alot there you may want to set the file(s) to do not download prior to re-checking and starting. This should allow uT to continue downloading the in-progress pieces but not download anything more

Archived