"This Program is Freeware" Message Box Displayed Every Computer Reset

Undesirable

Hi, I get a message box popping up every time I start µtorrent for the first time after a computer reset. I can click OK and use µtorrent as normal, and I can even close µtorrent altogether and run it again in the same session, and the message box won't pop up. After I have reset my computer and run µtorrent again, however, the message box will be displayed again:

utorrent_scam_message.png

I believe it is because I keep my settings in the same folder as the executable in order to use it on an encrypted drive.

Yep, searching would have brought you to many a spirited discussion about this. First be sure your settings file/directory has sufficient access rights and is indeed updated each time you close uT. Secondly try out the new 1.8 Beta from http://utorrent.com/download.php it has been coded to (hopefully) keep this from happening. It tends to happen on many a notebook computer after network cards are en/dis-abled.

I've been using the 1.8 BETA since it was first released, but unless they've fixed it in the build that was released today (v1.8.10198 - and I don't think I've seen anything in the changelog about this problem) then it still isn't fixed for me. I will check next time I restart my computer and report back.

I was using a version of the 1.8 Beta just before it was fixed... ;(

Edit: Well, I'm afraid I still seem to be getting the message box popping up every computer reset with 1.8 build 10198 after testing it for a few days. I'm running it off an encrypted drive with the settings in the same folder as the program file. Does anyone know where exactly in 'settings.dat' the message box setting is kept?

• 4 months later...

If you buy uTorrent you just got ripped off.

As they've said above, uTorrent shouldn't display this AFTER you run it and close it successfully once. Please say which build you're using (Alt-H-A), and whether your settings are saved after exit... are permissions setup correctly? What OS?

If you use a tool which can view the bencoded data in settings.dat like http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 you'll see the key(s) called CID and OLDCIDS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been using uTorrent since last year, and recently formated my PC and installed Vista. Now I have the same problem everybody is having. The damn message at every system boot. I love uTorrent and I'd hate to be ungracefull to the people who made this great program for free, but this is impossible to tolerate. I'm rebooting at least 20 times a day and this message is driving me crazy. Don't know what else to do about it. I'm running the lastest version and build. I'm using a wireless Internet connection. Sometimes I close the program, I reopen it and the message did not pop-up. But when I reboot, well, this damn things keeps getting on my nerves. I'm running Vista as administrator, all UAC and crap dissabled, and the uT folders have all rights. I appreciatte any help you can provide. I'd hate to go back to Azureuz or the other crappy torrent softwares, but you're giving me no choice. PS As you can tell, English is not my native language. Sorry about the mistakes.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem. It pops up every time and blocks startup of utorrent. I tried most of the fixes here in the forum (not only this topic) and seems no one actually knows a solution only some workarounds that work to random persons...

Can the devs just erase it from utorrent and save the headache? :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was recently scammed by a company fast-downloads.biz. I was offered a Premium Membership for a few dollars, when the invoice was shown on my computer it was for around AU$70.00. It even goes so far as to state on the WebPaymentGateway document (not a receipt) that this is a one time cherge and non-recurring.

WARNING: It states " We wouldn`t recommend asking your bank not to honour the payment ( the so-called chargeback), for that will have a negative impact on your credit history.

Fast-downloads.biz are supposed to offer a service which finds torrents which you have been unable to locate yourself, they do this by getting you to fill out an order for your required download and they will get back to you with a link in two days. I am still waiting after three weeks. I think my bank will get a call from me.

http://www.chargebackforum.com/chargebacks/do-chargebacks-effect-my-credit-score-3749.html

The only issue I'm seeing is that... well, it's not really clear that what they're doing is actually fraudulent. They can easily claim that they're selling you information on how to obtain µTorrent, in which case there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, since they technically did do just that.

Archived