Interesting but irritating problem.

chris d

Could someone please advice in regard to uTorrent. I can run this application all day downloading some huge files (in excess of 1GB plus) without any problems and yet (other times) I try to download a file which may only be less than 400MB, I'll be lucky if the download lasts five minutes before my system is locked up solid to the point whereupon I can't even shut down properly. I have noticed (however) that this seems to occur when there are seeds/peers in excess of 1000+ - even though (at the time) the download speed may be very high - yet I'm on a 20MB cable connection? What's most irritating is that I can't even open the Task Manager to see what's causing the problem.

Is this a fault of my own making or an issue with the application - is anyone else suffering the same issue?

System info:

AMD 1.3 GHz Palomino

1.5meg SDRAM

Windows 2000 SP4.

Speed 20MB cable.

McAfee Virusscan V7 - yes I know it's legacy but it works perfectly well and without the unnecessary bells and whistles.

Zone Alarm Security Suite - correctly set and working fine.

Please advise

Cheers

You *shouldn't* be connecting to 1000+ peers. Make sure you're running the Speed Guide properly.

Besides that, it sounds like it may be an issue with ZA if an increased number of connections is causing such lockups. Try uninstalling ZA temporarily to see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Apologies, I could have written that a little clearer, when I said "seeds/peers in excess of 1000+" I should have mentioned that not (in fact) connected, for a typical example:

Seeds 220 (10500): Peers 140 (20650): Down Speed 450 kB/s

It's the above (type of) scenario that appears to cause the problem.

Cheers

Chris

Archived