stubborn torrent, keeps 'undeleting' itself!

windowlickerzen

basically, as in topic, i have this torrent that keeps appearing in the client which has long been completed and the data moved elsewhere. i've deleted the associated .torrent files in my torrent save directory, removed any reference to it in resume.dat etc in /application data/ but it keeps reappearing the next time i open utorrent, and also sometimes when i start a new download. when i reappears in the client, so too do the .torrent files that were delted (and also shredded) what the hell!! is there any other place utorrent uses to store its temp data or anything that i might be missing? thanks guys

resume.dat was being saved, but somehow it was rewriting the data for the torrent file that id removed from the list. i checked this manually and even physically removed the string referring to the torrent itself before and after removing it from the client *and* also deleting the filename.torrent files in my default torrent save directory (which may i remind you kept reappearing out of thin air). after all this and still not getting anywhere i uninstalled utorrent completely and tried the 1.8b.. placed my dat files back in /application%data/ (including the edited resume.dat)... and it appears again!!! i exit utorrent, checked resume.dat again.. no sign of the offending file.. i cleared out my temp sys folder, temp internet folder.. and load up utorrent... problem seems to have gone away for now. woot.

yeah the autosave folder is read-only, could that be what caused the problem? afaik folders are read-only by default in xp?

just reading this atm 'Can't change read-only attribute on folders in Windows XP' http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=547346

"Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders".

..as far as i can see the problem has been fixed so thanks for your replies, the little bit of info here might help someone else.

Archived