how to use YF and open VPN (?)

stig

Hi,

I searched a lot in google and this forum about using open VPN and your-freedom software but there was not a good article about them. I am really confused.

Consider utorrent is blocked. I have YF client software with user/password and I installed open VPN. Then someone step by step tell me what to do...

Thanks,

Hmmz step by step I wouldn't know.

However I can point you in the right direction. You need to force µtorrent to use the vpn connection (aka adapter). The vpn connection has its own local IP. You can probably find out that IP by doing Start -=> Run -=> "cmd /k ipconfig /all" (without the "s) and look for the IP-address of the VPN adapter. There should be multiple adapters and each will have an IP-address line. How exactly the adapter of the VPN connection is named differs from VPN to VPN.

Then set this IP in µtorrent in the advanced preferences as net.outgoing_ip and net.bind_ip

That *should* do the trick.

Note: Using a VPN almost always means you won't be able to forward a port which will limit your BitTorrent potential but its better then nothing :)

You probably don't need a proxy unless you got instructions to use one.

Random port doesn't matter. VPN doesn't provide port forwards so it makes no difference wich port you use it is not gonna be used. And uPnP and NAT-PMP probably won't work either. You can leave them on to test it but chances are your 'incoming connections' indicater in the middle of the status bar won't turn green.

I did what you said. Please see the pictures:

1- My VPN IP:

1055fv9.jpg

2- My YF window showing VPN connected:

2ebcpwp.jpg

3- Connection section in preferences:

29wkal5.jpg

4- Bittorrent section in preferences:

2r7bksi.jpg

5- Advanced section in preferences:

bfhm4o.jpg

then I restarted my utorrent and after nearly 10-15 minutes here is the status:

2aetc76.jpg

as you can see the icon is yellow, but I connected to some few peers. Is it normal?

Yes.

The Yellow thing means you cannot receive incoming connections. This limits your BitTorrent capabilities but you can still bitTorrent. In fact the low speeds of a VPN are usually a worse side-effect.

Since UPnP and NAT-PMP are not making your icon green (chances at this were very small anyways) you can disable them.

By the looks of things you got it all setup properly. As you can see the outgoing and incoming speed in YF (6378 and 1858) roughly match the speeds in utorrent (4,2kB.s and 1,2kB/s).

Technically you could have forwarded ports on a VPN but the owner of the VPN server manages them and they almost never provide such a feature because it's too much micromanagement. If you want a port forwarded contact them but they might refuse or provide it for a fee.

In fact Your Freedom does provide Port Forwards. They call them Server Ports and offer 5 with their 'Total' $ 200 per year package. http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=114

Don't think it as open and closed. Think of it as forwarding. They need to make a forwarding rule to send connections that come from the internet at their router to your computer and for that they ask a fee. Or (as in YTs case) they only provide such a service to their most exclusive customers.

There is no bypassing because there is no block/closed/whatever.

Our univ at specific hour will close the ports, because right before that the icon is green and right after that hour, the icon turns to yellow.

Does this mean the ports are closed? (I don't know)

Yes. That means that your uni does redirect incoming connections to your PC (probably because you have an internet IP and not a LAN IP which means that incoming connections get routed correctly automatically) and at specific times they block those connections. A VPN (and a LAN) by default doesn't have this redirection in place and it has to be setup through port forwarding rules (because nobody has an internet IP on a VPN (or LAN) the next best way to manage redirection of incoming connections is to use port numbers).

Sorry, I don't know the difference between internet IP and LAN IP. If they are valid and invalid IP addresses then I have to say that I have valid IP.

Also, I went to port forwarding site but there I saw that I have to choose the router brand/model and then setup some commands on router. In case that router configuration is for administrator and not me, then I think I can not do the port forwarding job. Am I right?

What I understand from your post, you said that the best way to resolve this issue is to test different port numbers (in the connection section of preferences) and see if it works? If yes, then there are many port numbers and how can I do that?

• 9 months later...

You are able to change and set ports with http://wwws.linkideo.com

it costs $10 a month for unlimited data/bandwidth and the ability to change/select ports,

It has a UI which allows the user to do it themselves, as not to hassle the admins. Via this methad i have a green circle tick in my uTorrent when using my VPN network ;)

Sadly though i think my ISP is throttling all encrypted data..

Archived