"Select Error" Driving me fucking insane.

saqt

Looks like you are right vurlix.

Even though i should be doing work Ive been watching whats happening when i get a select error.

It will gradually pick up peers until it gets around 63 and then it will pop up with a select error and all speeds drop to zero. It then starts to drop off peers until it gets back down to around 50 and network ok comes back and speeds return. This pattern happens even when I have quit nod32 and my firewall (outpost).

Ive set a max of 55 peers globally and it seems to be working fine now. Speed limited to some extent, but just fine.

Put uTorrent in your exeption list in Nod32.

Put uTorrent in your exeption list in Nod32.

Still get the error... even with nod32 and outpost closed.

EDIT: nope, definately isnt nod32, outpost nor peerguardian. I just rebooted after removing them all from startup from msconfig.

I would suspect it being my router but i had the same problem on another system with a different router and connection.

Got the same error, setting global connections to 30 solves it (and gives very low download speeds).

Now let us find the common factor so that it can be eliminated :)

OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 (with TCP/IP hack set to 1000 connections).

Antivirus: NOD32 2.5

Firewall: Agnitum Outpost 2.7.493.5421 (416) (uTorrent as a fully allowed application).

Connection: static ip on a 100mbit line (2.5mb/s as best speed on a single torrent with another client).

Using dual IP, one for internal network and one for external, puting the external in bind to ip field and same with report to tracker (just to be sure).

I don't think it matters if you turn it off or not, as long as it's installed it will interfere..

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too, probably something get modified by either nod or outpost when installing, and it'll be there as long as the software is installed (perhaps even after).

I'm gonna contact Eset (NOD developers) and see what I can get from them.

Did you TRY first to put it in your exeption list for nod32?

It's automaticly set to high compatiblity, but of course I disabled IMON and added uTorrent.exe to exclude list. Didn't help one bit (even disabled NOD32 completely). I believe it's Outpost that's causing it, everything points to it anyway.

30 did the trick here also..

I've raised the # of tcp sockets significantly, no prioer client (BC/AZ) has had these issues :(

NO FIREWALL, except SPI in router (netgear)

NOD32, but I have no ability to add utorrent to any exceptions :(

nod322bm.png

edit: but it's still much much slower than both BC / AZ, maybe due to the 30 restriction ?

also for some reason a torrent from Filelist won't start, 888 peers and 0 connected

Then we can pretty much assume it's NOD32 that's causing the errors, you haven't had any firewalls installed previously either?

It'll be slow(er) when lowering the amount of connections, unless you get lucky and get connected to 30 fast ones.

EDIT:

Confirmed it's NOD32 that's causing the errors. Did a uninstall and tada... no errors anymore (got one NAT error wich is strange considering i don't run a NAT ip exept for secondary and it doesn't have internet access).

It's a bit hard to give up NOD, gonna see if it can be installed and not run as a service, just to have the on-demand scanner.

After some contact with ESET I found out it is possible to run NOD32 right now too. You have to disable IMON completely (and add utorrent.exe to AMON exlude list just to be sure). After disabling IMON (everything, not just a couple of options) reboot your system. I now have over 150 connections with no errors at all and with NOD32 running in the background.

You do loose out on the HTTP scanning but it's not that important anyway ;)

After some contact with ESET I found out it is possible to run NOD32 right now too. You have to disable IMON completely (and add utorrent.exe to AMON exlude list just to be sure). After disabling IMON (everything, not just a couple of options) reboot your system. I now have over 150 connections with no errors at all and with NOD32 running in the background.

You do loose out on the HTTP scanning but it's not that important anyway ;)

Disabled IMON and added utorrent.exe to AMON's exclusions, if I try ie. 300 global max, I get the dreaded "select error"

Disabled IMON and added utorrent.exe to AMON's exclusions, if I try ie. 300 global max, I get the dreaded "select error"

Hm, strange, I have 200 connections per torrent and 1000 global.

Do you have the "Internet protection is not running" in the Status box when selecting IMON? I've also disabled EMON, dunno if that could relate.

well, the IMON icon is red now, so I think it's disabled ?

Ah, no, actually it's not. Same error for me. It should be gray when truly disabled :)

I got it gray after reinstalling nod and disabling IMON from the setup program. :shock:

Archived