Fastest down load speed I can get with a 1.5 DSL connection?

homebob

Hi,

I have a 1.5 Qwest DSL connection. What is the fastest download speed I should be able to get? I have port forwarding working and I'm get anywhere from 20 to 80 on a good day. Also while Utorrents is running my computer sometimes becomes rather irratic. The screens freeze up, mouse quits working. If I wait a while thing begin to work again. Any suggestions???

Go to speedtest.net . A 1.5mbit line maxes out at approx. 170kb/s. Check your speed guide settings (ctrl+g). xx/192k or xx/256k MIGHT be good settings (i dont know your exact upload speed, so this is an only an estimate based on experience).

I ran the test. Actually 2 of them at two different web locations. Both indicated a down load speed of about 512. So I set speed guide setting under options to that speed. Seemed to help a little but I should be able to get a down load speed of over 100 and that doesn't seem to happen

Speed Guide doesn't care about download. you may indeed have 1.5 Mbit download, however that's > 100. What is your upload? That number is used in the Speed Guide. Test http://slackware.com/torrents/ for a couple minutes.

Torrero is right about default upload settings, but you should test to be sure. And do it multiple times during the day because if you're ONLY testing @ .5 Mbit download, which is 1/3 your supposed download I bet your ISP mangles your connection through shaping or other "network management" practices.

If your upload is only ~ xx/256 ... are you consistently uploading @ that number (uT defaults to 22 - 35 KiBps) What's your upload average? How fast did slackware download? When you hit your upload cap your download becomes bottlenecked... so try lowering your upload 5% at a time to see if you see a "jump" of download speed to your expected 150+ KiBps.

Archived