How to open a port on a Linksys WRT54GL router?

leamsi4ever

Hi, I have been using uTorrent for a while with a 2wire DSL modem, I opened a port on it and uTorrent was working fine. Now I have a wireless router (Linksys WRT54GL) and when I check to see if the port is opened it is not. I am not sure how to forward a port, I know you go to "Applications & Gaming", then I type in the port numbers, but I don't know what to put on the IP address field, right now I have my static IP address but this does not work, do I need to put the IP address for my DSL modem here? If so I can't because the router fills out the first 7 numbers of the IP addres which are 192.168.2... and my DSL modem's address starts with 192.168.1... so I am not sure how to do this. Again the port is opened when I connect directly to the DSL modem but with the router it does not work, any ideas?

I recommend DD-WRT for its feature fullness. I've been told Tomato has good quality of service functions (;)), I can't comment as to how well it works though as I can't install it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v23%20SP2/dd-wrt.v23_sp2_standard.zip for DD-WRT v23 SP2 (Haven't tried v24 yet).

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato for Tomato.

I have no trouble with v23 SP2, now the v24 "release candidate", that, was crap. I set up the multi-SSID and separate Wi-Fi security features, constantly bogged down to no 'net access possible at the ~5 minute mark.

:( Then I agree about it working like crap for you, was it the standard build? Maybe something about me using the micro version, since it was designed to work on crappy gear like mine. If I had a better router I'd try the different versions.

I tried DD-WRT on my WRT54GL v1.1 (I can't remember what version of DD-WRT, though). I decided to try it first before other firmwares, since I did hear good things about it, but it ended up screwing around with my ability to browse the net, even with a ton of tweaks (look through the DD-WRT wiki and Google and all). Tomato worked perfectly from the get-go, so I stuck with it. The latest versions of Tomato are supposed to work even better than the older versions (optimizations and all), but I've been too lazy to mess around with the router to bother upgrading :P

Worst case scenario is you brick your router need to perform recovery using the link DWK provided, but this hasn't happened to me with the seemingly horrible to some DD-WRT, the chances of it happening with Tomato are small. Just don't use beta versions for this kinda stuff and read the documentation first :P. If something does happen, you can usually go back to normal, download the most recent copy and TFTP first. I don't know about Tomato but on DD-WRT there is a small delay after plugging in the router that can be used to transfer new firmware if the current copy is corrupted. The same might apply to Tomato, but chances are it'll be fine and if the router did have an issue you could downgrade to the crappy Linksys version through the website.

In the highly unlikely event your router stops working completely, you can try exchanging it under warranty, if not, you can make something called a JTAG cable to fix a bricked by corrupt firmware router. Again, read the docs and you shouldn't have any trouble.

@Ultima+Firon: (...:P) Was it just v23? Or was it v23 SP1/2?

@DWK: Thanks, I read about there being a pause for new firmwares, but wasn't entirely sure about it. That page is a refresher :) (semi-off topic note: DD-WRT forum search sucks).

@Firon: I believe you then :(. Especially after that horrible release candidate.

Archived