How to open a port on a Linksys WRT54GL router?

leamsi4ever

Thanks guys, I have the tomato firmware now but I still can't forward ports. I went to the option for port forwarding and typed in the port that Utorrent uses, then for Internal address I put my PC's static address, but uTorrent says the port is closed, then for internal address I put my DSL modem IP address and it still does not work.(also enabled UPnP) Can someone help me with this? Like on the original question I mention, if I connect straight to the DSL modem I can open the port no problem, but if I connect through the Linksys router it says the port is not open.

Disable UPnP if forwarding manually and power cycle the router, also, look for Tomatos status page, what are the first two fields in WAN IP address? You might need to forward your "modem", what make/model "modem" are you using?

GTHK,

I disabled UPnP and power cycled the router.

These are the WAN settings I have on the status page:

MAC Address 00:14:BF:C2:F6:09

Connection Type DHCP

IP Address 192.168.1.66

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 192.168.1.254

MTU 1500

My DSL modem is a 2Wire 2071.

Yeah, your modem. Goto this website: http://192.168.1.254 and that should get you to your modem, if it doesn't you'll have to connect directly to it. Once you do that, poke at the options, if PPPoA/PPPoE is NOT enabled or present, try looking for connection type and switching to bridge mode. If it is enabled, switch to bridge mode and use my guide to set up PPPoE in the Linksys. I'm gonna go look for a manual in case that doesn't work.

Edit: 2Wires are horrible..

Not yet, I'm trying to figure this stupid 2Wire out from the manual.. do you see port forwarding on the 2Wire? If bridging doesn't work it'll have to be the alternative, that or bridge mode in the Linksys, which I'd rather not do. Someone else had trouble with a 2Wire. Also, do you see an option to backup your settings? If not, do you have your login data?

Bleeeeeeeeeh...crappy 2Wire. K.. go on the Linksys, find connection type, change it to bridge mode, restart computer, go back to the 2Wire and your computer should appear as one of the connected devices. Use the port opening procedure to open a port for your computer.

If that really is it, Tomato fails. On the 2Wire, try going through the port opening procedure to open a port for your router instead. Double NAT's aren't fun but it's probably the easiest way, see if it works.

Same as µT. It goes like this, you open a port for the router, when the modem gets the data, it port forwards to the router, when the router gets the data, it port forward to your computer. :)

P.S. For future reference, it's not a modem, it's a gateway.

Mmm it works now!

I tried to open the port on the router again and now it works, funny thing is that I had done that before and it didn't work, maybe because I re-started my computer just now? Well all that matters is that it is working now, THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP GTHK!!!

Yay.. a note. If you didn't set a static IP address, if the address on your computer changes you'll need to fix it in the router. Also, since the double NAT apparently couldn't be removed, whenever you want to forward you'll need to do it in both routers. UPnP wont work. I was trying to avoid those but alas, double port forwards will have to do, unless you feel like downgrading your Linksys or getting a real modem. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't host a computer game server or something.

Same as µT. It goes like this, you open a port for the router, when the modem gets the data, it port forwards to the router, when the router gets the data, it port forward to your computer.

what kind of error am i supposed to get if there is something wrong with my modem?

The problem here was a double NAT, for each NAT you have to perform a port forward. A router has NAT already, to find out if your modem has NAT, if your not using a router, then check your computer for a private IPA, if you are using a router, then go to the routers status page and check the WAN IPA. If either of those addresses are a private IPA as per the article I linked, then the modem needs port forwarding.

That's relevant to this topic anyway, if you have some kind of other problem with your modem that's messing with µTorrent, then create a topic in the appropriate thread asking for help, including modem make/model, a description of the issue, and any other information that may seem relevant. Also be sure to search the forum and the main site to see if your issue has already been resolved.

Archived