No connections to peers, not a port forward problem.

SteenkyBeenz

I'm not a pro with Torrents, but I know the general stuff. Cut me some slack :D

Ok, Recently I did a destructive reset of my computer, so my settings aren't tampered with in any way. I'm using a Motorolla SB5101 modem, and a Linksys WRT54G router. I've configured uTorrent and forwarded the port I'm using, I've done it before, but still says it's not open. But before I even did any of that, I had a problem of no network status icon, and no connection to peers, so I assumed the port was closed. Although I remember when I first tried utorrent a few months back, even IF the port wasn't forwarded, I'd just get the yellow notifications and a very LOW speed, not just 0.0 up and 0.0 down. I've tried many torrents, pretty sure they're not fake, even tried the slackware one, but it doesn't seem to want to connect to any peers. I've added uTorrent to the windows firewall exceptions, and the norton exceptions. I'm just really desperate to start downloading again :/ So if anybody could think of any other possibility, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've had charter the whole time i've used p2p applications, and this has never happened before, so I don't think my ISP is the problem.

If even http://slackware.com/torrents/ don't work then it is a configuration problem likely with your ISP blocking communication.

Be sure your modem (motorola) doesn't have a firewall in it. Additionally it is possible you don't have a real internet address (the WAN IP on your linksys should be the same as shown at http://canyouseeme.org )

Symantec's products aren't even the best in the business, and they are known to bog systems down, so I'd say good riddance. You can replace the firewall with Comodo (it works well when configured properly). As for the antivirus... there are plenty of free ones out there that perform decently (AVG and Avira AntiVir come to mind).

Archived