Port forwarded and STILL not working or being found?!?

Kindbudz

Hey. I looked into the whole firmware thing for linksys routers but who's to know if my version is ahead of the ones listed. I have the WRT54G2, and I DONT have stall or crash or hangup problems. My problem is that after correctly forwarding the port to my IP (which won't change even tho it's dynamic) I still get the error when checking if the port is forwarded correctly to the test IP and I still get the firewall "!" at the bottom. My torrent is going at a good speed, but not what it should be obviously.

My windows firewall is completely annihilated from use, and i'm running vista. My router's firewall is all unchecked. Utorrent is in the exceptions..

The only odd things is I can't run /ipconfig from my cmd, it won't show anything, but I can still find my IP in the network settings.. That's the only thing not right that I can look into..

I think that's everything tho, if someone has a similar problem, or can help in any way besides telling me to refer to the firmware upgrades section that would be nice. (that upgrades guide is extemely vague and doesn't help anyone understand what they should do, or even if thier router is in the applicable area in needing upgrades to who knows which firmware or which course of action)

Hi, The Problem with Forwarding to a IP that is from the DHCP IP's is that it usually does NOT work. It would be best to setup a Static IP that is Outside the Routers DHCP IP's range.

Please Read this Guide on How to Choose a Static IP:

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1116577357

If you setup a Static IP and it still is NOT working you might have some Firewall issues, but I would get the Static IP setup anyway.

So it doesn't matter even if you're dynamic IP WON'T change? I only have 2 wired and 1 wireless connections to the router, so mine's always at 192.168.1.101. It won't change from that, but even so that still doesn't matter and I'll have to set a static IP before it forwards my chosen Utorrent port and open it up? Also, my modem (Surfboard SB4100) doesn't work as a router as far as I've been able to find, it's an old cable modem I've had for 6 or 7 years with no problems. Prior to getting the new WRT54G2 router from Linksys, I had a Dlink that forwarded ports fine and gave me the green light in all torrent clients. Is setting a static IP the only option here? I know for sure window's firewall is dead, i shut it down in the services area. So that's all the rest of the info, let me know what ya think, and besides disconnecting my router and d/ling my next torrent, I will try setting up a static IP and see if it forwards finally then.

Yes, it doesn't really matter that the dynamic IP doesn't change -- it's still an IP found in the dynamic IP range, and as such, it must be treated as a dynamic IP. Yes, you should set a static IP up for the computer before you forward the port, and you must set the IP to something outside of the router's DHCP range (which is generally something like 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149 on Linksys routers).

Just FYI, Surfboard modems are known to cause port forwarding issues as well. Evidence can be found littered around the forums indicating as much.

Archived