Reversing Compact Allocation.

aa

This problem is similar to the one in http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5187, but not really.

Someone told me to turn on compact allocation, and I did, and I started downloading this huge group of files, but I cannot play them as they download because of the compact allocation issue. The worst thing is, it pre-allocated all those files, and now it is merely fragmenting my hard drive really bad (>100K fragments / file) and causing it to give a disk overload error. Is there any way I can return those pieces to where they belong now that I have the compact allocation back off? Moreover, if there is no way, is it going to restore them when it finishes downloading? Because I have been downloading since about the beginning of May, and I would not want to spend another four weeks to figure out that the files are irrepairably mangled.

When I wrote „play them as they download", I meant play the files that have downloaded already. But yeah, I have an update. It randomly decided to move the files back to where they belong. I had exited the program and restarted it, to no avail, and now suddenly they are back to where they belong. (?)…

EDIT:

Hmm, nevermind, it only put those files where they belong because it had filled up information to fill up to those files. But the remainder of the files still have compact allocation. So I guess I'll have to continue telling it to download one file at a time, in the order it does the compact allocation. Thanks for trying though.

Archived